Jean-Paul de Marigny Departs Wanderers

Jean-Paul de Marigny was today left the Western Sydney Wanderers, just 9 months after he ascended to the head coach role following the sacking of Markus Babbel.

The Wanderers released a very short statement today on their website: "Western Sydney Wanderers FC have today parted ways with head coach Jean-Paul de Marigny. The club thanks Jean-Paul for his efforts and wishes him success in the future. The club will make an announcement in the coming days on a replacement coach."

It is unclear at this early stage if the move was a sacking, or if de Marigny left the club of his own accord. 

Jean-Paul de Marigny's time at the club did result in a small uplift in the clubs performances, and he was able to keep the Wanderers from losing a Sydney derby this season. His final statistics in charge were 5 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses from 12 games, his best results coming in February as he lead the Wanderers to a 1-0 derby win, after smashing Adelaide United 5-2.

In the post Lockdown period however, the 3-1 loss to Perth and the 5-3 loss to Western United culled the small hopes of playing finals football, and a 2-1 win over Melbourne Victory closed out the season.

The Wanderers have not announced a replacement at this time. Whoever it is will have their work cut out for them, as the club will be dealing with the loss of our best player Mitch Duke, having signed nothing but youth player upgrades at this point in the pre-season and with a massive cut in the salary cap looming.

Wanderers Chairman, at the time of de Marigny's appointment in July said “with JP at the helm and our squad working hard at our fantastic Centre of Football, we eagerly anticipate the return of the Hyundai A-League and watching our group take the steps required to make our many members and fans proud.”

Lederer's words ring hollow with the erstwhile head coach leaving just three months after his 'permanent' appointment.

View full article

Just now, hughsey said:

Clearly been a significant falling out judging by the lack of volume to the statement. Although his tenure was so short there probably wasn’t much more to write.

They didn't even bother mentioning he managed to win a derby.

My one guess at this point would be him quitting because Lederer won't sanction new experienced players and instead will just be promoting youth players.

Maybe the reason we haven’t been buying new players is because someone figured out JP would not cut it next season and started quietly looking for another coach (who would then be able to pick his own recruits). If they do indeed announce a new coach in the next few days it would suggest this has been in the works for a while and was not the result of some recent dummy spit.

16 minutes ago, mack said:

They didn't even bother mentioning he managed to win a derby.

My one guess at this point would be him quitting because Lederer won't sanction new experienced players and instead will just be promoting youth players.

7 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

Maybe the reason we haven’t been buying new players is because someone figured out JP would not cut it next season and started quietly looking for another coach (who would then be able to pick his own recruits). If they do indeed announce a new coach in the next few days it would suggest this has been in the works for a while and was not the result of some recent dummy spit.

Two very different directions for this. I'm hoping the latter. Guess anything is speculation really until we hear more

As someone who has taken Mainz to currently 2nd on the Bundesliga table, signed Jan Oblak to be GK, and current Europa League and DFB Pokal champions (2031-32 season) on FIFA 20 career mode, I would like to put my hand up for the vacant managerial position.

Otherwise, I am also happy to make my professional debut as a goalkeeper for the club if they send me a contract. I am happy to play for minimum wage as mandated by the PFA agreement. I am also happy with any squad number less than 100.

According to Bossi

"Sources close to de Marigny suggested issues about recruitment, support staff, season planning and personal differences had convinced the club to look for a new coach for next season, which begins in late December."

Well I wasn't really convinced with JP it was more COVID that made me settle for him.

But the owners must be limiting the resources which explains the promotion of youth players. It sounding like were going the way of the Mariners, I am guessing as many of you are that its someone from within the club. 

2 minutes ago, coachcarter said:

Slightly left field.... but I would love to see Ruben Zadkovic get the job.

1 minute ago, Keithie said:

Okon and the horses , this would not be bad appointment , one of the smartest soccer player to ever play for Australia

11 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Can't wait for Aloisi to carry us to our first A-League Championship lol.

Stonehenge: scraping the barrel | The Heritage Journal

14 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Can't wait for Aloisi to carry us to our first A-League Championship lol.

I'm led to believe JP probably wasn't allowed to sign many (if any) players and thats why the club was only promoting the youth (who were getting pumped by most NPL sides).

Apart from last Friday's defeat, albeit with some key players missing, which other NPL teams 'pumped' us this season?

6 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Okon and the horses , this would not be bad appointment , one of the smartest soccer player to ever play for Australia

Okon wasn't too flash at the Mariners....being a good player doesn't always convert into being a good coach. Looks like Harry Kewell might be looking for another job soon :xnod:

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic