Football Media Discussion

Football isn't as popular in Australia as we like to think it is, I've been hearing forever football is going to be the biggest sport within 5 years that's delusional the game is much we worse than it was 10 years ago, we're in trouble. The FFA is like taking a knife to a gunfight if we are have any chance it needs to start there, these guys don't even reflect us at all.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/the-life-of-an-australian-soccer-coach-is-not-for-the-fainthearted--just-ask-mark-jones-or-gary-phillips-20170419-gvo7yj.html

Story includes a small tidbit about one of our owners, Jefferson Chang.

Davao Aguilas are one of eight teams in the inaugural Filipino pro league, which kicks off on April 29. Backed by Western Sydney Wanderers part-owner Jefferson Chang, the club enjoys the patronage of Filipino president Rodrigo Duterte, the former mayor of Davao who "fine-tuned" his infamous vigilante "justice" in his hometown. Dangerous? "I feel safe there," says Phillips.

Riding around town in Chang's bullet-proof SUV helps, not that Phillips has ever shied away from third-world challenges. "Coaching hasn't made me rich, but it's given me rich experiences." The moral to the story.

The Cocks latest article on whether Popa has lost his mojo mirrors more or less what most of us have been saying on these forums...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-season-of-failure-for-western-sydney-wanderers-has-tony-popovic-lost-his-touch-20170423-gvqiqj.html

Edited by beatsurrender

The Cocks latest article on whether Popa has lost his mojo mirrors more or less what most of us have been saying on these forums...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-season-of-failure-for-western-sydney-wanderers-has-tony-popovic-lost-his-touch-20170423-gvqiqj.html

Interesting he says Dimas and Pinatares are off already? Is that true? 

And he calls Popa, "popa" again.

And forgets we won the Premiership, which is what anyone who looks at Popa's resume is going to care about.

Also the idea that this is our "best ever side", and then thinking that the problems were because of "rotation" when the problems were actually because 4 of the foreigners were completely shite and the 5th didn't dominate matches like other marquee players do. Santalab comes off the bench because he's getting old.

And forgets we won the Premiership, which is what anyone who looks at Popa's resume is going to care about.

Also the idea that this is our "best ever side", and then thinking that the problems were because of "rotation" when the problems were actually because 4 of the foreigners were completely shite and the 5th didn't dominate matches like other marquee players do. Santalab comes off the bench because he's getting old.

Agree 

The side was salvaged when we got Antonis and Vedran

Our best team in a lot of ways was last years, if Pio had worked out we would have won it. 

Best ever side lol Made me laugh out loud.

This season was a salvage operation / damage limitation from the get go.

Edited by WSWBoro

Still some valid points. The question is out there Popa is going to leave either at the end of this season or next, I mean who would we get to replace Popovic, should we go foreign coach or local? Regardless of recent efforts the guy has done a lot for foundation and identity of the club. Although you could tell there was pressure on him this season he was far more animated on the sidelines, snapped a bit more on refs (Jared Gillet) and was celebrating every goal with Mourinho like emotion.

BTW "Greatest ever team" my arse we had it last season all we needed was a good goalkeeper (never forget Redmayne) and a Striker and we would have won it

If Popa wants to stay, he should be welcomed, but the level of success we can expect hinges upon much better recruitment.

If Popa moves of his own accord, we should (imo) make a play for Gombau, and continue the development of style to high-intensity attack (we were headed in the right direction, but execution was lacking this season) with him being given full say on the imports.

It's going to be a long off-season.

You think they do this on purpose?

Original tweet removed it seems. I don't think they intentionally put the wrong information, they just don't bother researching correctly and I do think that even if it's picked up they let it go anyway. Most of these 'sports' journalists are actually just AFL-clowns who have to cover something else every now and then. They couldn't care less about anything else.

Just watching Bill & Boz on Sky news and some rugby numptie called Neil Hindmarsh (?) was saying he was disappointed the Wanderers were out as there will be no riots now.  This is what we are up against in this country. At least the other panelist (apart from Bozza) seemed to have a genuine interest, his name was James Sowaz.

Just watching Bill & Boz on Sky news and some rugby numptie called Neil Hindmarsh (?) was saying he was disappointed the Wanderers were out as there will be no riots now.  This is what we are up against in this country. At least the other panelist (apart from Bozza) seemed to have a genuine interest, his name was James Sowaz.

Actually Jamie Soward... a former St George and Penrith Rugby League player.

He is a very vocal fan of the Wanderers on Triple M. Attends most of our matches and talks us up massively.

Actually Jamie Soward... a former St George and Penrith Rugby League player.

He is a very vocal fan of the Wanderers on Triple M. Attends most of our matches and talks us up massively.

Never forgiven Soward for the way he conned the refs to deny the Bulldogs the Minor Premiership when he was with the Dragons.

He's risen to the level of pond scum by virtue of being a WSW supporter - he started from a much lower base.

The question is out there Popa is going to leave either at the end of this season or next, I mean who would we get to replace Popovic, should we go foreign coach or local?

If he leaves next year that's after the World Cup, which Ange has said he's leaving after. So him. Or maybe Millicic depending on who gets the job they may want their own assistant.

The question is out there Popa is going to leave either at the end of this season or next, I mean who would we get to replace Popovic, should we go foreign coach or local?

If he leaves next year that's after the World Cup, which Ange has said he's leaving after. So him. Or maybe Millicic depending on who gets the job they may want their own assistant.
Surely Ange would have bigger ambitions than returning to the Aleague?

Would happily have him or Milicic.

With being up in Brisbane Fri/Sat and then down the coast Sun/Mon I'm only just catching up with the weekend papers. The editorial in Saturday's SMH was claiming that the evening's game between the Swans and GWS would be the biggest sporting fixture in Sydney this year eclipsing any NRL fixtures and also Wanderers v FC. Where the fook do they get these ideas from? Have they been sucked in by the AFL propaganda machine? The game was watched by a disappointing crowd (for this 'top' fixture) of which 95% were wearing red and white. Absolutely no proper rivalry whatsoever.

Editorial? You believe that is real?

Its propaganda from an "everyday man" to try and generate interest.

Also Cockerill has nfi about anything. He tries to be "cutting edge" or controversial but he does little to no research and basically throws whatever he can to a wall to see what sticks.

That WSW article was rubbish.

Editorial? You believe that is real?

Its propaganda from an "everyday man" to try and generate interest.

Also Cockerill has nfi about anything. He tries to be "cutting edge" or controversial but he does little to no research and basically throws whatever he can to a wall to see what sticks.

That WSW article was rubbish.

Summed him up perfectly lol.

Watch interviews he does, seems to make it up on the spot

Doesn't matter. Rules are you wear the watch on your left no matter what.

You should go back to the drunken ramblings thread!

You wear it on your weaker hand because:

* It's easier to get on and off

* You can check the time while you are using your stronger hand to perform a task

* It has less chance of getting damaged because you use that hand less (I just found that out on the interweb!)