Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

21 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Victor Saba not returning to his Hong Kong club, the come back is on 

He has had 6 clubs since he left us!

no idea why I thought to look him up on Wikipedia 

He was on loan from his Eredivisie club. He’s going back to Holland. Sure, he’ll probably get loaned back out again but in this instance it’s fair to say that leaving is just standard club business. Loan players being bought by the lending club at the end of the loan are the exception, not the rule. 

3 hours ago, Erebus said:

And people thought he was the second coming of Ono lol

Another one of Popa's great recruitment strategy.

I’d he had half the application and commitment of shanon Cole, he’d have been a great player. 

On 20/04/2018 at 11:43 PM, ZachMercer said:

I'm telling ya. Offer Torres $5M and the chance to play with some la liga mates.  Hire a decent PR & Media/Publicist firm (not  FFA's McCann) and he'll at least double that in ticket sales, memberships, merchandise, appearance fees and endorsements - not to mention backpage spreads every time he takes a dump. The Kensington kids will be burning their ESFC shirts on overpriced webbers and the eurosnobs will be lapping up wanderers jerseys at ultra football for a piece of the red and black. Job done, drop mic.

I said the same thing last year about Van Persie. The ticket sales alone would pay their way.

11 hours ago, Jefski said:

I said the same thing last year about Van Persie. The ticket sales alone would pay their way.

So it's not impossible. If we could get a decent marketing consultant on it, it's very do-able

Some quick maths:
20,000 shirts sold * $140 per jersey (I'd charge more) = $2.8m (less nike's 30%)
10,000 seat deficit per home game * $20 per ticket * 14 home game = $2.8m (less gradual decline over the season, lets say 50% loss.)

There's probably 5 other revenue streams I could go into but theres no point. My actual point is that with the right name, we can bring in a large price tag player. Torres or RVP might do it, though I have my doubts about RVP.

1 hour ago, mack said:

I dount the club get more than 10% of any shirt sales.

The club gets more money if merchandise is bought directly from the club. If you buy from Rebel etc the FFA gets the money and distributes to itself AND the other clubs. So if you buy from Rebel etc you are potentially giving money to the smurfs, heartless, melb vic etc.

5 hours ago, mack said:

I dount the club get more than 10% of any shirt sales.

Entirely dependant on the channel of the sale. If it’s direct from the manufacturers it’s about 15%. If it’s a retail channel, more like 5%.

If the shirts are sold through the club, they clean up nicely. The problem is that it’s difficult for the club to bother with distribution, hence why the wanderers have that relocating pop up store. They can simply cut a deal with Nike that all marquee orders are at a higher %, or they have a suplimented deal in place. It’s the same thing FC did with ADP

On 24/04/2018 at 10:21 AM, Upthehill said:

So it's not impossible. If we could get a decent marketing consultant on it, it's very do-able

Some quick maths:
20,000 shirts sold * $140 per jersey (I'd charge more) = $2.8m (less nike's 90%)  fixed:xnod:
10,000 seat deficit per home game * $20 per ticket * 14 home game = $2.8m (less gradual decline over the season, lets say 50% loss.)

There's probably 5 other revenue streams I could go into but theres no point. My actual point is that with the right name, we can bring in a large price tag player. Torres or RVP might do it, though I have my doubts about RVP.

Club gets little over 10% of shirt sales, manufacturer in our case nike makes all the bucks. But that is why manufacturers pay the bucks to sponsor us so they can regain that money invested on sales of their kits.

On the other side of the card a big player might bring more manufacturers wanting to bid for the rights for a team to sponsor especially if they know that player will be around for a few years and bring in more fans and more sales. Dominoes effect begins other sponsors would want to get on board and viewers local/international may also be keen to keep an eye on how that player evolves in their new club.

14 hours ago, tranquilo said:

Club gets little over 10% of shirt sales, manufacturer in our case nike makes all the bucks. But that is why manufacturers pay the bucks to sponsor us so they can regain that money invested on sales of their kits.

On the other side of the card a big player might bring more manufacturers wanting to bid for the rights for a team to sponsor especially if they know that player will be around for a few years and bring in more fans and more sales. Dominoes effect begins other sponsors would want to get on board and viewers local/international may also be keen to keep an eye on how that player evolves in their new club.

I don’t know what the Umbro deals are with HAL clubs but there is 3 variations of a Nike distribution agreement with different clubs right, none are 10%. For any channel. So what do you base that on?

Licensing deals are hugely complex. The channel of the sale has a big impact on the amount that the club gets. The type jersey bought has an impact. Clubs pen exclusions for certain names with official fonts. 

On 21/04/2018 at 10:59 AM, sonar said:

The clubs needs to get rid of Bonevecia, Cedujo, Baccus Snr, Baccus Jnr, Roly, Thwaite, Clisby. Sotirio, Hamill , Bridge, Lustica, Aspro and get players who are intelligent, have football skills, know how to pass, are not traffic cones, can adapt to different playing styles and tactics, don't fight with team mates, don't get red carded when the team needs you,don't throw hissy fits and tantrums at the manager when their lack of skill costs the team games, can last more than 5 minutes without falling in a heap with exhaustion and act like professional footballers with a professional attitude and who will wear the jersey with pride.

Oh and a kevlar vest for the new manager...he's going to need it.

you must really hate roly - you have sacked him twice!

:rofl:

I would be really disappointed if the club didn't keep santa and bridge. a poor season for all involved but these guys need to be recognised for what they have contributed to the club. I think the club is still stained by the way we unceremoniously dumped covic and NTS (who proved us pretty wrong and has played far, far better than anyone we have trotted out at CB this season) after what they did for us - would hate to see it happen with these guys as well.

1 hour ago, lloydy136 said:

I would be really disappointed if the club didn't keep santa and bridge. a poor season for all involved but these guys need to be recognised for what they have contributed to the club. I think the club is still stained by the way we unceremoniously dumped covic and NTS (who proved us pretty wrong and has played far, far better than anyone we have trotted out at CB this season) after what they did for us - would hate to see it happen with these guys as well.

While I agree with the sentiment, the salary cap and squad limits make it difficult to reward everyone you want to.

Bridge and Santa have to be able to contribute enough for whatever their salary is.  That of course includes their leadership and passing on of the culture.  And they have to accept that they are going to be bit-part players (nothing suggests they won't, but it's important to be clear what their role is going to be, which is tough without a coach!).  The other problem is that if you re-sign them as backups, that means that a young bloke misses out. 

Building a squad in the A-league is a holistic exercice (uggh, I hate that word, but it's the best one to fit this!) - you have to really be aware of how many players you have that are senior leaders, how many youngsters, what positions your visa guys are going to fill etc. We need a coach SOON, otherwise we'll be putting together a piecemeal team with no proper plan.

2 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

both can go, both past their prime's and we can get far better plus santa has not really covered himself in glory recently

31 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

While I agree with the sentiment, the salary cap and squad limits make it difficult to reward everyone you want to.

Bridge and Santa have to be able to contribute enough for whatever their salary is.  That of course includes their leadership and passing on of the culture.  And they have to accept that they are going to be bit-part players (nothing suggests they won't, but it's important to be clear what their role is going to be, which is tough without a coach!).  The other problem is that if you re-sign them as backups, that means that a young bloke misses out. 

Building a squad in the A-league is a holistic exercice (uggh, I hate that word, but it's the best one to fit this!) - you have to really be aware of how many players you have that are senior leaders, how many youngsters, what positions your visa guys are going to fill etc. We need a coach SOON, otherwise we'll be putting together a piecemeal team with no proper plan.

don't we get santa at a discount though under the 'archie thomson' rule?

2 minutes ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

both can go, both past their prime's and we can get far better plus santa has not really covered himself in glory recently

disagree goat - there is a limited player pool of quality australian players. the best sides retain these type of guys even as their skills begin to fade (esfc - brosque, mv - valeri). experience and know-how matters.

also lol at your attitude to santa - 5 years of outstanding service vs 1 article you didn't like. throw him under the bus!

3 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

I don't think anyone was/is denying the things they achieved for the club, more along the lines of are we going to be dad's army for sentimental reasons.I would rather the club give them fulltime positions helping junior wanderers than sacking them....they would be invaluable.

3 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

disagree goat - there is a limited player pool of quality australian players. the best sides retain these type of guys even as their skills begin to fade (esfc - brosque, mv - valeri). experience and know-how matters.

also lol at your attitude to santa - 5 years of outstanding service vs 1 article you didn't like. throw him under the bus!

no need for the lol at the end, lets be honest both players are not at their best, they have no improvement left in them, bridge had so many years where he just didnt do all that much he had some great years for us too but lets not pretend they were all like that, yes experience is important but not nearly as important if you spend 95% of the match on the bench, i mean it helps a bit but not the same amount it would if you are on the field

club legend or someone who has been at the club for 5 minutes if you are not performing and you are past your best then maybe its time for you to go, i would be happy to be wrong and both players could be here next season and have amazing seasons but i just dont see it happening

22 minutes ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

no need for the lol at the end, lets be honest both players are not at their best, they have no improvement left in them, bridge had so many years where he just didnt do all that much he had some great years for us too but lets not pretend they were all like that, yes experience is important but not nearly as important if you spend 95% of the match on the bench, i mean it helps a bit but not the same amount it would if you are on the field

club legend or someone who has been at the club for 5 minutes if you are not performing and you are past your best then maybe its time for you to go, i would be happy to be wrong and both players could be here next season and have amazing seasons but i just dont see it happening

ok goat challenge for you.

name the australian striker who would be prepared to come to the wanderers, sit on the bench behind our marquee 20 goal a year no.9, play for 10-15 minutes or so a game and come on give maximum effort for the club and be as likely to jag a match winning/saving goal as santa.......

12 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Guys so wes hoolahan is leaving Norwich at seasons end and is opting a move to the a league should we get him I mean he's better than roly and he would bring in the Irish fans, also he knows Ian crook so maybe we can get a deal to bring him to the west of sydney

Roly ain't going anywhere.

35 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

ok goat challenge for you.

name the australian striker who would be prepared to come to the wanderers, sit on the bench behind our marquee 20 goal a year no.9, play for 10-15 minutes or so a game and come on give maximum effort for the club and be as likely to jag a match winning/saving goal as santa.......

you do realise we can play more than one striker right? but also ridiculous challenge since every player wants to play every second of every match, i would say alex brosque but he is actually still playing full matches but bias aside he would be a better signing

• mack locked this topic