Perth Glory vs Western Sydney Wanderers 21/10/2018 4:00PM

Western Sydney Wanderers FC: 1.Danijel NIZIC, 4.Josh RISDON, 5.Brendan HAMILL, 7.Nick FITZGERALD, 8.Jordan O’DOHERTY, 9.Oriol RIERA, 10.Alexander BAUMJOHANN, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Ruon TONGYIK, 16.Jaushua SOTIRIO, 17.Keanu BACCUS, 20.Vedran JANJETOVIC, 21.Tarek ELRICH, 22.Rashid MAHAZI, 23.Lachlan SCOTT 24.Raul LLORENTE, 28.Roly BONEVACIA, 49.Abraham MAJOK.

Unavailable: 6.Kosta GROZOS (international duty), 13.Tass MOURDOUKOUTAS (international duty), 18. Marc TOKICH (international duty), 19.Mark BRIDGE (injury – six weeks), 32.John ROBERTS (international duty), 33.Tate RUSSELL (international duty), 34.Patrick ZIEGLER (injury – two weeks), 40.Nicholas SUMAN (not selected)

Perth outs 

Unavailable: 11.Brendon SANTALAB (hamstring – 1-2 weeks), 14.Chris HAROLD (illness – 1 week), 17.Diego CASTRO (hamstring – 1-2 weeks), 21.Jacob ITALIANO (knee – 1-2 weeks), 25.Walter SCOTT (international duty)

10 minutes ago, Stokz said:

Based on availability we looking like:

Vedran

Rizzo Hammer Tongyik Raul

Baccus Mahazi

Kamau/Fitz/Sot  |  Baumjohan  |  Roly

Riera

Thats a poor team. 

A team that's not going make finals.

Central attacking combination is good

as are the fullbacks and goalkeeper

Rest of the team is a bit... hmm

I expect Sotirio to start. Surely unless Tongyik is really under-done we don't try Elrich at central defence again.

Grozos is either not as badly hurt as initially reported, or he's stayed in camp just for basic training & recovery not wanting to risk a flight back for whatever reason, or the FFA don't want to waste the money to send him back on an early flight.

Oriol: " We’ve prepared the last month for this game. We know Popa, what’s his style, so Perth will be a tough game.”

Maybe more for Glory than for WSW. Apart from an absent Ziegler we'll field our strongest 11. Glory playing with two imports only. Oriol > Keogh, Juanda on paper is Dimas/Andreu quality at best, and I am yet to experience a Serie B player who sets the league on fire. They have two suspicious goal keepers, and Keogh is the only player who can be considered a goal scorer.

Green as ref and KGJ on the monitor is a concern. It is yet to be seen who or what they dislike more: WSW or Popa.

18 minutes ago, FCB said:

Apart from an absent Ziegler we'll field our strongest 11.

O'Doherty / Mahazi + Sotirio / Kamau doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Apart from that, we should be competitive.

Tip - Score draw  

9 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Mahazi + Sotirio/Kamau doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Apart from that, we should be competitive.

Tip - Score draw  

A motivated Mahazi > unmotivated Baccus snr. Even if Grozos was available: one can't expect two juniors running midfield over 90 minutes in Perth. Mahazi will add the bit of experience which might make the difference.

Sotirio/Kamau - what happened to Fitzgerald? A few weeks ago he seemed like a certain starter.

29 minutes ago, FCB said:

Keogh is the only player who can be considered a goal scorer.

Keogh, Ferreira and Ikonomidis will be an extremely dangerous front three.

In the absence of Castro I would imagine Popa might play Spiranovic or Djulbic in a two man defensive midfield with Juande, and have Kilkenny as the nominal attacking midfielder. Alternative might be Juande & Kilkenny in a two man midfield, with Keogh/Chianese rotating coming back deep making it something of a hybrid 442/4231.

We should also be very worried about their height at set pieces, although hopefully the Popovic effect means they suddenly start playing short corners all the time and never get it into the mixer for Spira/Mrcela/Keogh/Djulbic.

21 hours ago, Stokz said:

Based on availability we looking like:

Vedran

Rizzo Hammer Tongyik Raul

Baccus Mahazi

Kamau/Fitz/Sot  |  Baumjohan  |  Roly

Riera

Thats a poor team. 

A team that's not going make finals.

I think he’ll start Elrich over Tongyik 

12 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I think he’ll start Elrich over Tongyik 

I would start Elrich over him as well. However i would put Elrich on the right and Risdon at CB. Dont know how much up and down the wing Rosdon will do after the week of travelling but also provides a little bit more size.

20 minutes ago, mack said:

Keogh, Ferreira and Ikonomidis will be an extremely dangerous front three.

The same can be said about Oriol, Roly, Sotirio.

Ferreira scored 11 goals in the last three years (Sotirio had 9). He is an old school HAL player. Unless Popa found something that can be resurrected, the best he can hope for is coming second in this season's Usain-Bolt-HAL-sprinting-competition. And Sotiro might just beat him.

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/video/press-conference-19-october-markus-babbel

Tokich is injured not on international duty, Ziegler out, Llorente had an injury last week but seems like he might not play, Grozos out for a long time, Bridge out another month at least and then we have a few players apart from Llorente who had injuries they have disrupted their preparation.

1 hour ago, Thommo said:

I would start Elrich over him as well. However i would put Elrich on the right and Risdon at CB. Dont know how much up and down the wing Rosdon will do after the week of travelling but also provides a little bit more size.

Risdon has never played CB and has no physical presence. Its one thing playing Elrich as CB in the FFA Cup, its another to think just because a guy won't be running up and down the wing that he'll have an easier time in the centre where he has obviously never trained there.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/video/press-conference-19-october-markus-babbel

Tongyik still injured.

No more players to be signed ("it's a money thing").

Babbel happy to push the role of favorite over to Popa, and quoting the exports at Foxsports that WSW don't have a chance.

Is not mincing words when it comes to Usain Bolt.

He said Tokich. Tongyk played last week against CIty.

It'll be Ridson - Tongyk - Hamill - Raul/Elrich

As said on ATB this week, I wouldn't be surprised if Roly is dropped in the centre of the park because we're lacking players there. Means Fitz, Majok, Sotirio and Kamau can fight for the 2 wing spots.

Can see Glory being very strong at home this season, nobody is going to get an easy game there, nobody.

But they're going drop points away or be too defensive.

As per today i'll be happy to take a draw right now, just want to see some coherence between the players and some confidence building hard working teamwork, good for the players, coaching staff and fans alike.

3 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

if we play really well and everything drops right for us we might be able to keep it to 0-2 i reckon. fingers crossed.

You’re a little ray of sunshine this morning! 

You are probably right, but I’m holding on to some illogical preseason optimism for a few more hours

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic