Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

2 hours ago, RedBlackOle said:

Campbell might be beyond our reach?Based on other comments here, I’d guess it will be one of the following (in rough order of preference and beard rating for Taurus):

- Stephen Naismith

- David  McGoldrick (great beard)

- David Nugent (marginal beard)

- Lee Gregory

- Conor Washington (marginal beard)

- James Vaughan

- Freddie Sears

James Vaughan, youngest ever premier league goal scorer he looked ace until his leg fell off

Since then he had a good season for bury and I think he was one of the few players at Sunderland that looked like he gave a **** 

11 hours ago, wendybr said:

OK ...I'll trust you! :ninja:

So now, you'd better go tell the Facebook Family, and put their minds at ease!  :lol:

You worry too much. And no, I don't communicate with the FB family.

Smurf FC currently have 14 players on the books, with two of them rumored to go overseas. As there's not many good quality local players available, and they have filled their marquee spots already, one can only wonder how they are going to put a competitive squad together that has both quality and depth. Just as well it is us who are playing Leeds, and not them.

In the meantime, all we have to do is wait for announcements regarding marquees, and one or two more players who can't be selected by Arnie for the U23 tournament in January. We need a CF, a DM, and probably another winger. If we nail those then we'll be the team to beat.

12 minutes ago, FCB said:

Just as well it is us who are playing Leeds, and not them.

Aren't the East Geelong side playing Leeds too?  Their squad is probably in even worse shape.

6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Wtf is going is going on? CCM really going after our academy players.

They requested 4 non scholarship contracted players be released to trial 4 - 6 weeks ago. 

2 refused the offer Adam & Constable, smart lads.

Another 2 accepted the offer Silvera & Aquilina. They were advised that they would be deregistered by WSW, if they trialled with CCM. I agree with the no 2nd chances policy, particularly  given the coaching & development, we have dedicated to each of those lads in recent seasons. 

58 minutes ago, FCB said:

You worry too much. And no, I don't communicate with the FB family.

Smurf FC currently have 14 players on the books, with two of them rumored to go overseas. As there's not many good quality local players available, and they have filled their marquee spots already, one can only wonder how they are going to put a competitive squad together that has both quality and depth. Just as well it is us who are playing Leeds, and not them.

In the meantime, all we have to do is wait for announcements regarding marquees, and one or two more players who can't be selected by Arnie for the U23 tournament in January. We need a CF, a DM, and probably another winger. If we nail those then we'll be the team to beat.

Still $14 available with SportsBet.

Best get your running shoes on

On 19 June 2019 at 11:15 AM, LeeMarvin said:

So what do we think - anything less than a top 4 finish next season will be a failure?

The club at large (owners, execs, staff, coaching group, players) is coming together for one purpose only: to win the title. Topping the league is the goal they have set for themselves, collectively and individually.

Last season there were too man construction sites: fitness, quality of players, attitude, defensive errors, structure, game plan execution, professionalism, discipline, motivation, injuries, unbalanced squad. All of this is being (or is about to be) addressed.

The rest will be in the hand of the football gods.

Perth are the team to beat. They've added Fornaroli and will probably only need to replace their fullbacks. We thought they will need to release a lot of players but thanks to the cap changes we know this isn't going to happen.

With the squad we have now and the lack of cash at the Mariners and Jets, and the rebuilding required at Wellington and Brisbane top 6 is absolutely lowest expectation. Western United look like a 5th to 7th placed squad.

Top 4 is achievable with a decent striker. Top 2 is on the table if the striker scores 15+ and Majewski is involved in ~20 with assists or scoring.

I also think this squad will be able to improve next year as well which will be useful going into the 12 team league. If we get the striker in early and on form then an FFA Cup run isn't out of the question especially if we get a draw like last year hopefully with the NPL side in the semi.

39 minutes ago, mack said:

an FFA Cup run isn't out of the question especially if we get a draw like last year

Too much to hope for I know, but I hope Wanderers draw Darwin again in the first round, hopefully against Darwin Olympic. 

26 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

$13

Thanks. Might get on it.  Will be unemployed end of next month so best burn some cash while I still have it.

6 hours ago, RedBlackOle said:

Campbell might be beyond our reach?Based on other comments here, I’d guess it will be one of the following (in rough order of preference and beard rating for Taurus):

- Stephen Naismith

- David  McGoldrick (great beard)

- David Nugent (marginal beard)

- Lee Gregory

- Conor Washington (marginal beard)

- James Vaughan

- Freddie Sears

Pretty sure I read that Naismith has all but signed for Hearts. They think highly of him, was voted player of the year by the fans and mentors the younger players. Be great if he came, but I don't see it.

16 minutes ago, Skoorb said:

Pretty sure I read that Naismith has all but signed for Hearts. They think highly of him, was voted player of the year by the fans and mentors the younger players. Be great if he came, but I don't see it.

Naismith ain’t coming but he is ace 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/10/steven-naismith-christmas-dinner-glasgow-homeless-everton

On 04/05/2019 at 2:48 PM, mack said:

2018/19 Threads: Part 1 & Part 2

Expiring Year 2019/20
Bruce Kamau
Daniel Lopar (Foreign)
Danijel Nizic
Mitch Duke
Nicholas Suman (U21)
Pirmin Schwegler (Foreign)
Radoslaw Majewski (Foreign)
Tarek Elrich
Tate Russel (U21)
Tass Mourdoukoutas (U21)

Expiring Year 2020/21
Daniel Georgievski
Fabian Monge (U21)
Jordan O'Doherty
Kosta Grozos
Kwame Yeboah
Patrick Ziegler (Foreign)

Expiring Year 2021/22
Dylan McGowan
Keanu Baccus
Vedran Janjetovic

Special Player Limitations (As part of overall squad cap)
4 of 5 Foreign Players
0 of 2 Marquee Position (Wage not included in Salary Cap)

A-League squad comprised of up to 20 First Team players + 3 U21 Players. Additional U21 players can be signed outside the squad cap.
15 of 20 First Team Contracts
4 U21 Contracts - Minimum 3 required

We can add Mathieu Cordier to the senior squad from 19/20.

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/wanderers-promote-cordier 

2 maybe 3 more senior player signings & that will be our squad for this season

I am thinking about Elrich and Kamau.  Both of them did a fair bit of work out of their favoured positions last season.  Do you think their willingness to sacrifice for the greater good would have earned kudos from Babbel?

1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

I am thinking about Elrich and Kamau.  Both of them did a fair bit of work out of their favoured positions last season.  Do you think their willingness to sacrifice for the greater good would have earned kudos from Babbel?

Yep....especially Kamau. I thought he improved under Babbel. Needs a bit more end product but he put in. You can't ask for more than that and with the squad forming as it is it will be put in or be put out and that is how it should be....no holidays.......fight for your spot.

58 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

What's wrong with Car City Minchinbury mate

Everything!

But agree hope if he signs for us he won’t be in an Audi....no offence to any Vorsprung durch technik aficionados but I subscribe to the old joke about 4 zeros on the grill and one behind the wheel....

course as a western Sydney boy he wasn’t gonna turn down a free set of wheels:xnod:

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic