Stoic Wanderers Hold City In High Heat

40 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Just seen the fixture we only play City twice this season. I hate this unbalanced fixture thing we have atm.

yep, really sucks.

However, it would be amazing if both squads (the Wanderers and City) came into the final round on the same points with the winner taking out the premiership.

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Our boys did try to keep the ball. But all that exertion to get the ball we couldn't get high up the pitch the heat was draining. The only time we kept the ball was straight after scoring. After that just ultra defence. 

And Borello never gave up he kept trying to get us forward, but he ran himself to the ground.

Aside from Cleur who else do we have returning for next game? Ninko hopefully pushing for the next game?

Ninko is 1-2 weeks according to rudan. Same with Yengi.

just saw Rudan's after match presser, and fair enough he laid it out exactly, answered the questions honestly, no bullshit, I can accept that take the point and move on.

Thought Tongyik threw in his best performance today, much better than I thought it would go fair play, was expecting Wilma to be a bit more assured when he came on in the shade of the west stand, but he was a bit sloppy on a couple of occasions, I don't think he's a winger.

11 hours ago, mack said:

Definitely. His press conference he was absolutely delighted at the point.

https://keepup.com.au/videos/id/press-conference-marko-rudan/6318717766112

Thought this was very good and explained some of the questions asked here - and certainly in my mind at the game. RT was playing to a plan. Most of us complained because he didn't go wide but I thought Russian explained this week. RT was instrumental inn the goal and that was also part of a plan.

I was impressed with MR's discussion of what they were turning to do and how they were attempting (without a proper 1st team as well!) Play to some of the strengths we had and neutralize some of City's strengths - as he did they have many strengths and very good players. A comparison of the experience on the park and their team was significantly more experienced than us. We did well. As Rudan says, a point gained.

Thought his comments on the 3:00 stay were on the mark, along with the City groups capacity to find there players they want... Good presser.

I was at the beach with he family, there’s no way I am going to a football match for a 3pm KO on a very hot and humid summers day.

I take a point against City, they are a very well oiled machine. But they were very off yesterday, very lucky to get away with a draw.

A lot of the fans would be complaining that Rudan set us up to sit back, that’s probably true but besides Borello, we have no decent and fit attacking players. Ninko is in Serbia getting treatment for his hamstring injury, neither Yeni and Yengi are fully fit to play, Krpic has fallen down the pecking order that we had to start an 18 year old ahead of him.

There’s no doubt we need attacking reinforcements to come in ASAP. There hasn’t been a rumour of who were signing either.

14 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I heard one idea from a fan is mayne we have morning kick offs in the summer. Alternatively post 5pm for these games. Or at least free oce cream and water for fans.

Result mate I am happy with the  draw I expected a loss today

There’s been talks of possibly doing an 11am, 11.30am or 12pm KO during the summer. 2-5pm is the hottest part of the day in summer, who ever decided that we need to do 3pm KO needs to get the sack

Looked at yesterday, I'm picking Penrith's BOM reports since Parramatta doesn't have an actual station that reports except at 9am from what I can tell.

At 3pm it was 33c and climbed to the max of 35 by 4pm and held there until about 5:45pm. One thing to note is that according to the BOM, in Australia when the sun is at it's peak in summer the temperature can feel as high as 8c more when in the full sun. So it might be 33c ambient, but combine the meridian height of the sun impact + their physical activity and they would feel like it's 40c or more during the game.

I'd say you'd want to keep the players under 30c, I'd put the finish of the match at 12pm and kick-off at 10am roughly. The temp then would be 25.5 at kick-off and 29.2 at full time.

Maybe you could push that back another half-hour and you'd be starting at 10:30am with 27c and finish at 12:30 with ambient at 30c. The sun won't be peaked yet, so at the finish of the match the players might feel like it's 35c, but that's still much better than 40c+

Playing matches at 3pm is madness.

Another option would be playing Thursday to Monday rounds, it wouldn't be as popular for the clubs but you could avoid scheduling anything before 5pm that way.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

The solution is simple, we just need air conditioned stadiums like Qatar :P

Install solar roof panels first before we can start using aircon inside the stadium. Imagine how much coal we have to burn just to run aircon inside the stadium for the whole day

18 hours ago, mack said:

Definitely. His press conference he was absolutely delighted at the point.

https://keepup.com.au/videos/id/press-conference-marko-rudan/6318717766112

Pathetic, I thought Rudes was better than this tbh. The amount of back patting going on because we managed not to lose is embarrassing. This loser mentality has been a problem at the club for several years now. I don’t care who we’re playing and with what line up, we should be playing to win every game and anything less be considered a failure. I thought Rudes was gradually changing this culture but obviously not. 

I don’t think we played well/deserved the draw anyway. They either hit the post or squandered the several dozen chances they made. If that game kicked off 2hrs later or at 5-10 deg cooler, it would’ve been a demolition job.

1 minute ago, hughsey said:

Pathetic, I thought Rudes was better than this tbh. The amount of back patting going on because we managed not to lose is embarrassing. This loser mentality has been a problem at the club for several years now. I don’t care who we’re playing and with what line up, we should be playing to win every game and anything less be considered a failure. I thought Rudes was gradually changing this culture but obviously not. 

I don’t think we played well/deserved the draw anyway. They either hit the post or squandered the several dozen chances they made. If that game kicked off 2hrs later or at 5-10 deg cooler, it would’ve been a demolition job.

Kind of harsh because there’s a lot of factors here about this result and its the best result we could have possibly got against the best team in the league.

Had we have all our players available to play then maybe I expect us to at least go for the win. But we are missing our 2 best attacking players through injury, another one started on the bench because he’s not fully fit and we have a foreign striker who is just a decent NPL1 player sitting on the bench.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Not sure if you were there on watching on Paramount. But over the broadcast you could hear a punter in the crowd screaming "get up! get the line higher!". he seemed to have more of a clue on how to fix the problem that Rudes.

I also refuse to believe the gulf in class is as big as the commentators were implying. If that was the case we'd be doing the same thing to NPL teams when we play them, but even they know how to setup a structure when you can defend with a mid depth line and still give yourself a chance to counter. By contrast, we had ******* Krpic defending a left back...

45 minutes ago, scarcev said:

Going against the grain here but I reckon one point was a good point to get and think Rudan got it just about right. We are starting a debutant up top, Tongyk in at RB and our 5 subs included Ngbakato and Krpic (both injured with niggles) 2x17yos and Wilmering, while they can bring on Galloway, Jamieson, Berenguer and Nabboutt all who would be starters in our team.

There is no point playing a high or mid high line against Melb City, that is what they want and they use speed and quick passing to pick teams apart through the middle or get in behind through the middle, they do not like going wide and crossing the ball as Maclaren is a shortass and they prefer to play with their CDMs and MF pushing right through the guts so Rudan clogged that up and forced them to either go wide or shoot from distance.  Sure, we got a bit of luck, but Maclaren never had a decent sight on goal, their crosses were dealt with easy by M&M and they had a couple of close calls but they were from distance.  For the amount of time they were in our final third they didn't create a heap and even their goal was from our mistake where we should of just punted it.  So cop a point and move on for me.

I'm with you here !!

1 hour ago, scarcev said:

Going against the grain here but I reckon one point was a good point to get and think Rudan got it just about right. We are starting a debutant up top, Tongyk in at RB and our 5 subs included Ngbakato and Krpic (both injured with niggles) 2x17yos and Wilmering, while they can bring on Galloway, Jamieson, Berenguer and Nabboutt all who would be starters in our team.

There is no point playing a high or mid high line against Melb City, that is what they want and they use speed and quick passing to pick teams apart through the middle or get in behind through the middle, they do not like going wide and crossing the ball as Maclaren is a shortass and they prefer to play with their CDMs and MF pushing right through the guts so Rudan clogged that up and forced them to either go wide or shoot from distance.  Sure, we got a bit of luck, but Maclaren never had a decent sight on goal, their crosses were dealt with easy by M&M and they had a couple of close calls but they were from distance.  For the amount of time they were in our final third they didn't create a heap and even their goal was from our mistake where we should of just punted it.  So cop a point and move on for me.

Predicted a draw pre game and very happy with the point. They killed us for possession but there were some positives to take from it with the way we defended.

1 hour ago, scarcev said:

Great post!

5 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

This game reminded me of the ACL final against Al Hilal.

We were completely outplayed in both legs yet we defended like our lives depended on it.

Unfortunately, this time, we didn't come up with the win.

Would prefer not being so dominated in any future Melb City finals game, need a better plan should that occur lol

Edited by Smoggy
27 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

This game reminded me of the ACL final against Al Hilal.

We were completely outplayed in both legs yet we defended like our lives depended on it.

Unfortunately, this time, we didn't come up with the win.

The Evergrande ties weren't too dissimilar either.

Since we're all talking about the game being played at 3pm...I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion on this:

I'm going to say it really depends what month:

BETWEEN OCTOBER to NOVEMBER/FEBRUARY to APRIL (all local times):
Friday: 1 game. Kick-off around 7pm-8:30pm
Saturday: 2 or 3 games. either during the day (Kick-off around 2:30pm-3:45pm) or during the night (Kick-off around 5:30pm to 8:30pm) 
Sunday: 2 or 3 games. either during the day (Kick-off around 2:30pm-3:45pm) or during the night (Kick-off around 5:30pm to 8:30pm)

DECEMBER to JANUARY (all local times):
Friday: 1 game (Kick off around 7pm-8:30pm)
Saturday: Between 1-3 games. (Kick off around 5:30pm-8:30pm)
Sunday: Between 1-3 games: (Kick off around 5:30pm-8:30pm)
Monday: 1 game: (Kick off around 7pm-8:30pm)

Ideally, I would probably only do the Monday game if teams need to catch on any postponed games

21 hours ago, GE942150 said:

Ninko is 1-2 weeks according to rudan. Same with Yengi.

Ninko told me at against the cows that he will be at least a month maybe worst case as long as 6 weeks. It’s been 2 so far so at least another 2 unless he has pulling my leg. He was reinjured in training. It sounds like a Cat 2 hammy sums align. 

the game yday rudan said it pretty well squad limit was pushed a point was okay. The youngsters who played didn’t make any major errors and did well. 

8 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

Fixture times IMO

1 x Thursday night - 7pm

1 x Friday night - 7pm

1 x Saturday afternoon - 5pm

1 x Saturday night - 7pm

1 x Sunday afternoon - 5pm

1 x Sunday night - 7pm

Yep ideally I like this maybe starting 530 and 730 

also with Perth home Friday and Saturday night can be trip header 

On the whole discussion channel 10 and Paramount are nuts if they think on a hot summers day people are going I can’t wait for this 3pm game. People are in their pools, local swimming holes and beaches. 
idiots really 

5 hours ago, SBW said:

Kind of harsh because there’s a lot of factors here about this result and its the best result we could have possibly got against the best team in the league.

Had we have all our players available to play then maybe I expect us to at least go for the win. But we are missing our 2 best attacking players through injury, another one started on the bench because he’s not fully fit and we have a foreign striker who is just a decent NPL1 player sitting on the bench.

Sorry but this mentality goes against everything we like to claim Westies stand for. What happened to being the battlers, getting on with the job and not backing down to anyone? That whole culture has just become a throw away tag line, it sadly means nothing anymore.

Based on your logic, we should just yield to any teams above us and only put in the effort to win on the rare occasions we are at 100% full squad health. We may as well forfeit if thats the case. 

How the mighty have fallen…

I wonder how many games we have played without getting a corner. ?

On the weekend we conceded 15 and won 0......:shok:

There wouldn't be too many you would think.

Edited by sonar

It was tough watching us sit back and basically "park the bus" for 90min, at home. 

However, where we are as a club right now needs to be put into perspective. 

3rd on the ladder. This time last year we were 10th (I think).

Basically, a new playing group, with the following players from our squad unavailable for the Melbourne City game, for one reason or another...

Gabriel Cleur
Rhys Williams
Kusini Yengi
Milos Ninkovic
Tate Russell
Tom Beadling
Jarrod Carluccio
Zac Sapsford
Terry Antonis

Yeni N'Gbakoto (not 100% fit to start)

Sulejman Krpić (another dud striker who lost his spot to an 18 year old)

City, on the other hand, had the luxury of bringing 4 top quality players off the bench. 

Galloway
Jamieson
Berenguer
Nabbout

As frustrated fans, we demand a higher standard, and a playing style that represents the people of Western Sydney.

We are 2 new signings away from putting our season back on track. 

Hopefully they are not duds. 

I thought Rudan (like Popa in ACL) was realistic. We didn't park the bus but we did get hemmed in by a very good team who had a full playing squad....

His game plan was pretty clear and there was a strong mentality, a desperate defence.

If we'd done as some suggest and go all out(not sure what that might have looked like??) We'd have been thumped 6-0 at least and that would have been the end of the world amongst fans. We effectively neutralised the best striker in the ALeague, the best winger, excellent midfielders... With a team missing half is 1st team players. They didn't give up but forgot pretty dam hard. The 2nd half was played directly in front of where we were sitting and it was hard work and everyone out in.

We're delusional if we think at this point we are close to City, in terms of team development, player capacity and therefore scouting the best visa players for a system we haven't even got in place as yet.