Police, Security & Supporter Discussion Part 2

4 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Let's hope this triggers some action from the club if not already too late ..seems like a never ending struggle. Hats off to the remaining RBB for continuing for so long despite all of this crap. I really hope I am wrong and the RBB come back in force.   but I can understand why RBB numbers have been declining so much  why would anybody want to go to games and put up with this rubbish.  It's been challenging enough in general for all the WSW fan base over the last 5 seasons,  the  Sh@thole  called SOP, poor performances on the field, failure to capitalise on the move to Bankwest,  COVID and  through all of this ongoing issues that  the RBB have had to deal with. 

Have the anti football authorities and media  finally won the war of attrition is the RBB/active support at WSW on the verge of extinction ??.  Are we going to end up as the sit down shut up and clap clap club ??

6 minutes ago, HillsWanderer said:

Saturday night was good but it lacked that magic atmosphere that the RBB create to make it a great night.

Honestly couldn't agree more, it was the deadest 5-0 type of game i've every been to, the whole RBB should've been rocking with whole stadium participation. 

Instead it was just a lot of chatter and brief celebration when we scored.

There is a very easy solution to the Police problem. Only allow normal cops in the ground, the ones wearing two blues. Between them and stadium security they can resolve 99% of all issues. I’ve never had an issue with the normal cops.

The raptor jumpsuit wearing squad can sit outside in their Landcruiser and only get in if we get attacked by a bikie gang, or whatever it is they are training for.

And the raptor guy with a black beard and a massive short man syndrome needs many many years of counselling and some type of training to increase his IQ. It’s worrying that someone like him gets a gun.

1 hour ago, MajorMelons said:

There is a very easy solution to the Police problem. Only allow normal cops in the ground, the ones wearing two blues. Between them and stadium security they can resolve 99% of all issues. I’ve never had an issue with the normal cops.

The raptor jumpsuit wearing squad can sit outside in their Landcruiser and only get in if we get attacked by a bikie gang, or whatever it is they are training for.

And the raptor guy with a black beard and a massive short man syndrome needs many many years of counselling and some type of training to increase his IQ. It’s worrying that someone like him gets a gun.

The new stadium was supposed to have it so that only two blues would be about and anybody else would be housed underneath and let out only when necessary.

Absolutely there's an agenda, and always has been, from the beginning. Cops and authority in general can't stand to see people organising their own fun.

6 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I seriously cannot believe that this type of shite is still continuing.

What is it about Wanderers fan behavior that the cops have a problem with, and that they feel they need to use excessive policing to control? Seriously, when was the last time there was an issue at a Wanderers game, yet we still have riot police at our games! Why??? There are never any riot police at Eels games, yet they are the last one's to have issues at their game.

Go to any Eels match and offensive language (wow - the use of the F-word!!) is common spoken English. From both Eels and away fans. Go to an Eels match and I'm sure you would find some random sitting in a dedicated disabled seat, yet, not have the full arm of the law come down on that person. They would be politely asked to move on, not ejected from the stadium. Why is this still happening, and why have not the powers that be (be it our club or the APL) done anything about these strong arm tactics.

I'm sorry, but I cannot help but think that there is a serious agenda in this country to just once and for all, shut down the type of active support that football provides.

I'm sick of it. And I'm sick of the powers that be not standing up for the fans of the sport and dealing with this.

The A-League was absolutely humming 5 years ago. It has now been torn to shreds. Just ask Victory fans. 

Spot on. Well said.

10 hours ago, BigDukes said:

Well when a police officer snaps your drivers licence in half, without an apology. Would you not swear for doing that?

Police cop and deal with much worst on a daily basis, if one officer cant handle being a called a swear word after an individual was willingly providing said officer with ID. Then that officer needs further training or change profession.

All this before kick off even occurred

Starting to get over it all 

If what you are saying that the police officer snapped your driving license in two ,you are right to sue him.

9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The club been any help? 

You Really think club willhelp and do you think the club even cares?

Since Miekelemp left the club, there hasn't been a supporters liaison officer to replace him so there's that no dialogue and communication between club and fans and the RBB have constantly mentioned this and it seems that JT is doing all of this work on top of other things. 

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

What is it about Wanderers fan behavior that the cops have a problem with, and that they feel they need to use excessive policing to control? Seriously, when was the last time there was an issue at a Wanderers game, yet we still have riot police at our games! Why??? There are never any riot police at Eels games, yet they are the last one's to have issues at their game.

It seems that's the NPL brawl the week before the Derby was the catalyst this over policing and unfortunately WSW fans have near the grunt of this no fault of their own

Edited by SBW
3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Go to any Eels match and offensive language (wow - the use of the F-word!!) is common spoken English. From both Eels and away fans. Go to an Eels match and I'm sure you would find some random sitting in a dedicated disabled seat, yet, not have the full arm of the law come down on that person. They would be politely asked to move on, not ejected from the stadium. Why is this still happening, and why have not the powers that be (be it our club or the APL) done anything about these strong arm tactics.

I'm sorry, but I cannot help but think that there is a serious agenda in this country to just once and for all, shut down the type of active support that football provides.

I'm sick of it. And I'm sick of the powers that be not standing up for the fans of the sport and dealing with this.

The A-League was absolutely humming 5 years ago. It has now been torn to shreds. Just ask Victory fans. 

You should send a version of that  to the Parramatta Advertiser, WB. To the Letters to the Editor.

Assuming it still exists online?

Interesting to see the two differing treatments of fans.

PS The businesses (eateries...assuming they're still there ) must still be missing the business Wanderers fans attending games used to generate on match day.

Given numbers haven't returned to home matches.

The loss of that buzz of excitement pre-game is, in part, due to the perennial issue of inappropriate over-policing.

I imagine the CBD has lost a fortune over the years, so maybe the Chamber of Commerce is worth a letter too.

We did it once before, I know... letters...when the restrictions on active support were taken to an absurd level.

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, SBW said:

Since Miekelemp left the club, there hasn't been a supporters liaison officer to replace him so there's that no dialogue and communication between club and fans and the RBB have constantly mentioned this and it seems that JT is doing all of this work on top of other things. 

It seems that's the NPL brawl the week before the Derby was the catalyst this over policing and unfortunately WSW fans have near the grunt of this no fault of their own

small unimportant correction - when Shaun left they replaced him with a young guy Ben. At some point after that they changed the role- or replaced it with a new one, I seem to remember the position being advertised- which was clearly focused on "fan engagement" in the marketing and "activation" sense as opposed to what Shaun and Ben had done. I can't remember when that was but it can't have been too long after the buying of the club.

Let’s be honest, swearing at a cop is not going to be well received in any setting. However I do believe that the course of action between it happening at a WSW game vs a local shopping centre is different and that’s the issue here. There is definitely a troubling bias and I’ve witnessed it multiple times over the course of supporting WSW. It’s not just from police, it’s from all stadium personnel and officials.

From what I’ve been told, the police at the game in overalls are often what’s called User Pays. They are not raptor but police officers simply wanting to make some extra cash on the side like an OT shift, given that certain events require a higher than usual police presence other than the normal LAC. 

I was told all this a few years back by a cop I got talking to through work and that there are certain games which are very popular to do cause they have higher availabilities for User Pays shifts. He told me that he always used to try and do Bulldogs and WSW games cause there would generally be more spots but it was quite hard to get the gig given the popularity. I have no idea if that is/still true but it’s what I was told from the horses mouth.

Based on what this bloke said, it sounds like it’s a bit of a money maker that’s become an easy justification to have more shift availabilities because of the bias towards football fans from the broader society. I don’t begrudge anyone for wanting to work OT and make some extra cash but there is definitely some double standards at play with how the actual policing takes place. Certain aspects of professionalism seem to go out the window which is very disappointing.

Lastly, wasn’t the agreed protocol that the supporter marshal is supposed to be present during any dealings between police/security and fans as a mediator type figure?

13 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

went to my first Eels game on friday night and there was at least one riot cop there i recognised from wanderers games. They absolutely have riot cops at the NRL, but i doubt they have the numbers and the definitely don't have the visibility that we get. 

4 hours ago, hughsey said:

Let’s be honest, swearing at a cop is not going to be well received in any setting. However I do believe that the course of action between it happening at a WSW game vs a local shopping centre is different and that’s the issue here. There is definitely a troubling bias and I’ve witnessed it multiple times over the course of supporting WSW. It’s not just from police, it’s from all stadium personnel and officials.

From what I’ve been told, the police at the game in overalls are often what’s called User Pays. They are not raptor but police officers simply wanting to make some extra cash on the side like an OT shift, given that certain events require a higher than usual police presence other than the normal LAC. 

I was told all this a few years back by a cop I got talking to through work and that there are certain games which are very popular to do cause they have higher availabilities for User Pays shifts. He told me that he always used to try and do Bulldogs and WSW games cause there would generally be more spots but it was quite hard to get the gig given the popularity. I have no idea if that is/still true but it’s what I was told from the horses mouth.

Based on what this bloke said, it sounds like it’s a bit of a money maker that’s become an easy justification to have more shift availabilities because of the bias towards football fans from the broader society. I don’t begrudge anyone for wanting to work OT and make some extra cash but there is definitely some double standards at play with how the actual policing takes place. Certain aspects of professionalism seem to go out the window which is very disappointing.

Lastly, wasn’t the agreed protocol that the supporter marshal is supposed to be present during any dealings between police/security and fans as a mediator type figure?

AND BINGO WAS HIS NAME-O!  Hence why we are pissed off and over it all

Regular 2 blues have been fine to deal with, we know some of them by name. But it's these extra ones that get put on (at the behest of the Local Area command) that are the idiots and unfortunately the club has to pay for them and have no leg to stand on.

Remember when they blocked up the aisles towards the end of the derby. A member was kicked out for asking them if they could move because it was idiotic that they were standing there blocking people from getting up the stairs and out of the bay. No ban luckily. 

32 minutes ago, GD07 said:

Remember when they blocked up the aisles towards the end of the derby. A member was kicked out for asking them if they could move because it was idiotic that they were standing there blocking people from getting up the stairs and out of the bay. No ban luckily. 

Remember when they were standing at the top of the stairs at the Central Coast away game and blocking the views of fans, and when they were politely asked to move by those fans, they refused and it became a shitfight?

Seriously, why does this **** happen?

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Remember when they were standing at the top of the stairs at the Central Coast away game and blocking the views of fans, and when they were politely asked to move by those fans, they refused and it became a shitfight?

Seriously, why does this **** happen?

Recall something similar at Newcastle.

That was the game they hassled me and the lad for him standing on the seat so he could see, must have only been 7 or 8 then. They stood right behind us for the rest of the game lol

23 hours ago, SBW said:

To answer it yes I do. The club could maybe do more, but they have put a lot of effort into it. They are operating in a hostile market where media etc love to jump on the opportunity for some Sokkah bashing. 

I have a level of sympathy for the club and JT just as soon as there is any progress, some cop on a power trip causes this or someone with a flare or a homophobic banner, in the support 

I doubt he’s going to get much support on it this one. It will just be reported as fan gets aggressive after being told to move from disabled seats 

On 10/05/2021 at 10:31 PM, GunnerWanderer said:

The next away derby will be crucial moment again in the 15 year war of active vs insert whoever you want here. 

if a few smokies and flares go off then it’s going to be be nasty I suspect. 

cool heads need to prevail on both sides - hopefully JT is all over this

🤣

On 11/05/2021 at 9:28 PM, StringerBellend said:

To answer it yes I do. The club could maybe do more, but they have put a lot of effort into it. They are operating in a hostile market where media etc love to jump on the opportunity for some Sokkah bashing. 

I have a level of sympathy for the club and JT just as soon as there is any progress, some cop on a power trip causes this or someone with a flare or a homophobic banner, in the support 

I doubt he’s going to get much support on it this one. It will just be reported as fan gets aggressive after being told to move from disabled seats 

Yeah, it's remarkable how hard it is to defend your fans, club and own pay paycheck when you don't try.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Everyone should really be careful. This is taking us back to the heavy police presence and I remember them. Two options:

1. don't go to the first 2 or 3 home games let the heat die down

2. Go but very aware of where security is and don't give them a reason to come down (this will be difficult in RBB because they will eye anything as hostile, I still remember Perth Glory Pepper spray incident)

So ramping this up

(Slater Alert) On Sunrise, Robbie Slater is interviewed and reasonable, for a change. In the article published it was pointed out there were hooligan elements from Horda.

Now, there is going to be a security review for the Melbourne Olympic Park area.

And unbelievably, Sky News looked at how easy flares (marine distress) are too easy to buy. Regulation incoming.