Win In China Not Enough For ACL Progression

The Western Sydney Wanderers are reigning Asian Champions no longer, having been eliminated in the group stage in 3rd place behind FC Seoul.

Despite taking all 3 points against Guangzhou, the Wanderers would rue only picking up a solitary point at home. FC Seoul scored in the 91st minute of their match against Kashima Antlers to see Group H finish Guangzhou 10 points, FC Seoul 9, the Wanderers 8 and last placed Kashima on 6.

The only other Australian team in the competition, the Brisbane Roar, also fell after being comprehensively beaten 2-1 by Urawa Red Diamonds on the Gold Coast to end what little hope they had of progression.

Mark Bridge scored the goal that gave Western Sydney the lifeline. He took full advantage of sloppy defence as a miskick from a Guangzhou defender turned into a sublime through ball for Bridge who cut inside onto his right foot and placed a shot into the bottom corner.

Guangzhou had little in response, with Tomi Juric securing the victory in the 93rd minute only for Seoul to have already scored their eventual winner in the 91st minute of that match.

The failure to progress in the ACL brings to a close a season of two halves, the initial burst of sunlight that was the triumphant Asian Champions League campaign as the A-League kicked off, only to be followed by defeat at the Club World Cup, internal bickering and strife over the pay for that competition, finished with an abject performance in the A-League that saw the Wanderers scrap into 9th place to avoid the wooden spoon.

Western Sydney will now rebuild for their fourth season, with no continental commitments and a full pre-season to come, Tony Popovic will be under pressure to get his recruitment right this time around, and to get his side into top 2 contention for Season 2015/16 of the A-League.

Click here to view the article

Nice long break and back refreshed and excited again for pre season and the FFA Cup. Already looking forward to a chilly pre season game at a suburban ground stood on a grass bank somewhere. We are all WSW tragics here and will be back for more punishment in a few months time. And I for one cannot **** wait!

Chin up all  :good:

Edited by WSWBoro

We were 2 minutes away from vsing Real Madrid until we conceded that penalty by Cole.

On the verge of snatching a miracle spot through the group stage tonight until Seoul had to score in injury time.

NO LUCK AT ALL.

The goal that kicked us out...

:(

99 out of 100, Molina would have misfired that!!!

Gutted but could have been worse, Hilal could have equalised in injury time to force it to extra time in November. We had our luck in November, we'll be back bigger stronger and better!!!!

Full pre season, time to go hunting domestically next season, especially hunting for smurfs :)

Nice long break and back refreshed and excited again for pre season and the FFA Cup. Already looking forward to a chilly pre season game at a suburban ground stood on a grass bank somewhere. We are all WSW tragics here and will be back for more punishment in a few months time. And I for one cannot **** wait!

word.

Canberra friendly, cold & dark night means we should make the local news again :ninja:

word.

Canberra friendly, cold & dark night means we should make the local news again :ninja:

lol yeah, we got all that to look forward to.

And my heart doesn't get a rest just yet as now I have to go through the torture of watching Middlesbrough *** up the Championship playoff finals !!!  :shok:  :shok:  :shok:  :shok:  :shok:  :nono:

Disappointed but no surprise. If there was no injury time played, we would have gain an additional 10 pts in the league and ACL.

Considering everything very proud of the effort tonight. Time for a rest and regroup.

I wonder how many played the last game for us today.

Unbelievable performance by all the players. Especially since many of them new that they were leaving. Buggered, screwed over by the FFA, and no breaks since January. You would have forgiven them somewhat for not performing tonight, but credit to them.

Oh and **** Molina and **** Kasima's ******* **** goalkeeper who let it dribble past him. In my current wheelchair bound state I would have put in a better goalkeeping effort. ******* moron