Football Marketing/PR Thread

11 minutes ago, Hiriser said:

I don't think it's 3 though, i think ratings for other sports are pretty stagnant and from what i gather crowds in general across most sports are on the decline.

I wonder if the Rugby League World Cup (and to a lesser extent the Bledisloe) have had any impact? I agree that crowd numbers are not great in many other sports, but these events are definitely marketed a shitload more than the A-league is. It may result in more of the "casual TV viewers" choosing other options?

The biggest thing for me is the lack of effect that the switch to Channel 10 (or One) has had. Admittedly, they're just as broke as FFA (until CBS bought them out), but I was expecting a bigger bump, particularly with the derbies on in the first few rounds. I guess it doesn't help when Fox protect their product by following up the bigger games with such crowd drawers as Jets vs. Wellington as the marquee Saturday night fixture.

700k watched the Bledisloe, compared to 94k for the Sydney derby http://www.sportingnews.com/au/rugby/news/wallabies-blow-sydney-derby-away-in-tv-ratings-rugby-football-aleague/4zf13u49qh5m12lnvdap5lole

Australia vs. England in RLWC:

Australia vs. France last Friday night got 644k https://tvtonight.com.au/2017/11/friday-3-november-2017.html

For comparison, Lebanon vs. England got 274k last Saturday, or triple the best A-league audiences on FTA https://tvtonight.com.au/2017/11/saturday-4-november-2017.html

4 minutes ago, Flytox said:

Its interesting that the Victory-Wanderers game with no sport opposition got ratings twice that of the other 4 games over the weekend that were up against RLWC coverage.

Which touches on my point about the "casual TV viewer" who will watch it if that is the best option.

They are not rusted on fans and will pick and choose between the sports/leagues they know.

A-league will continue to struggle with Big Bash, Ashes and tennis coming up this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Appears to be the latest marketing campaign by the A-League. Cross promotion with the Sydney Derby and the new Star Wars film. Interesting to see how successful it is, negative reaction thus far but just like the WSW mascots this isn't aimed towards us fans.

Brilliant stuff by the Mariners :good: 

What a fooking joke.

Look at what Dynamo Woy Woy are doing, and then compare and contrast with this Star Whores bullshit!

What kind of Braniac, PT Barnum dickwad sitting in the FFA bunker decided that it was going to benefit the derby (which on its own merits alone should be the biggest domestic football game in Oz every bloody season) by going for this cheap-arsed amateur hour gimmickry? Forget the passion that the derby engenders, the spectacle of the RBB and the Cove going mano-a-mano, the class, social and geographic divisions between the two clubs, the battle of sokkah wits between GombauWow & Arnie...

Nah, lets have our game climb into bed with a sci-fi movie franchise that lost the plot after the first sequel.

People need to chill.  People complain about no marketing, FFA do marketing and people complain because they dont like that version of the marketing.  Starting to think that people just like to complain.  I think it is a great idea, I know it is huge in the US when both MLS and Baseball do Star Wars Day.

Relax people it will get some good footage on the news, people will talk positive about it.

4 minutes ago, Posthoc said:

People need to chill.  People complain about no marketing, FFA do marketing and people complain because they dont like that version of the marketing.  Starting to think that people just like to complain.  I think it is a great idea, I know it is huge in the US when both MLS and Baseball do Star Wars Day.

Relax people it will get some good footage on the news, people will talk positive about it.

People don't complain simply about no marketing versus marketing. They complain about wanting effective, intelligent, football-relevant marketing being used instead of dumbarse BS gimmickry brain fart marketing,  or doing SFA marketing before the season.

Look at what Central Coast have done for this weekend. THAT is sound marketing that ticks the boxes of engendering positive links between the club, sport and community. It isn't some one off jerk-off event that has the sport, the club and the community as some kind of afterthought.

Instead of pushing this shite what is wrong with marketing the derby with some kind of link to what is happening on the field and in the stands. Of course that would require someone with an understanding of football culture to be engaged at the FFA, and we know how short-staffed they are in that area.

BTW, it's no coincidence that Shaun Mielenkamp, a key figure in our early days is now getting it right up at Gosford.