Babbel Sackwatch Thread 2

Babble Sackwatch Vote 2  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should WSW Sack Babbel

• Yes, sack him.
    • No, do not sack him.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/01/20 at 09:39 AM

19 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Was start of second season at SOP, he did the first **** season at SOP, with the borda, Pinatares, Jumpy axis of shite admittedly he pulled it back a little with bringing Antonis in and scraping into the 6

then the club gave him money which he lashed on Reira, Cejudo, and a midfielder I can’t remember 

........ahhhhh the happy memories.......Sotitrio coming on as a sub and getting a red......Jumpei choking it in the shootout.......I miss those days.....lol

21 hours ago, Carns said:

No, I do not believe there is a genuine football brain making the decisions. Have any of the suits ever played the game at a decent level? Do they really have an eye to spot talent?

Yep. This is what we are missing at the moment. Someone on this forum mentioned we should have a director of football. That's the right direction I think. 

I don't think JT has a clue and it seems no one else does either - I mean Babbel should, but tactically, he has not shown he knows what he's doing,nor the ability to adapt to changes during the game. That is shocking considering we are supposed to be aiming for minimum top six

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

........ahhhhh the happy memories.......Sotitrio coming on as a sub and getting a red......Jumpei choking it in the shootout.......I miss those days.....lol

We were actually a badly taken pen away from playing sydney in a semi final that I actually fancied us winning 

Sotiro’s two yellow cards both needless on the had way was just about the stupidest thing I have seen from any of our players, well until Vedran last season 

14 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Yep. This is what we are missing at the moment. Someone on this forum mentioned we should have a director of football. That's the right direction I think. 

I don't think JT has a clue and it seems no one else does either - I mean Babbel should, but tactically, he has not shown he knows what he's doing,nor the ability to adapt to changes during the game. That is shocking considering we are supposed to be aiming for minimum top six

What we need is a Director of Football Skills...........our players don't seem to possess many......Yeboah's dribbling effort against the Nux was comical......and that's being kind.

How many games have we watched and lamented the lack of basic football skills..........like how to pass accurately......:ninja:

3 minutes ago, sonar said:

What we need is a Director of Football Skills...........our players don't seem to possess many......Yeboah's dribbling effort against the Nux was comical......and that's being kind.

How many games have we watched and lamented the lack of basic football skills..........like how to pass accurately......:ninja:

Don’t t be so harsh our Centre Backs completed 16 passes in a row against roar, didn’t move forward one inch but 16 passes.

33 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Don’t t be so harsh our Centre Backs completed 16 passes in a row against roar, didn’t move forward one inch but 16 passes.

Did you notice that they didn't do it in the last game.......it would have cost them a small fortune 😊

Edited by tardotz
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

This is true. But to be fair Popa did **** us over I believe leaving as he did right at the start of the first SoP season for a shitty Turkish side. He split just at the very time we needed stability, its been a disaster ever since...and the club haven't managed to move on.

I think Santa had a good little holiday away from WSW, I don’t think he realised the damage Popa did when he left. Sounds like he has distanced himself away but his comments are spot on, even from afar 

13 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I think Santa had a good little holiday away from WSW, I don’t think he realised the damage Popa did when he left. Sounds like he has distanced himself away but his comments are spot on, even from afar 

Santa was there when Popa left and lived through Gombau, surely he knows better than most what it was like from the inside. Admittedly it got worse from there...

14 minutes ago, Bones said:

Pops knew what was needed to succeed in the A league and the type of players who could bring success, we’ve mostly all seen the vid where it’s claimed he aimed for Asian Champions from the start and I believe it.

I honestly think the club from there on in aimed at somewhat marketable players over what could win us matches because they know no different. I would trade 5 Pio’s (signed under Popas watch I know) or Meier’s for any tried and true A league players. Give me Matt Simon if you have to he’d do no worse and probably play with twice as much heart.

the main issue with matt simon is his personality makes me want to punch him in the face :P but give us someone who play's with his passion, better than most players who dont give a **** about the badge

The relative merits of Popovic v Gombau v Babbel are just side issues tbh.

(Since the GF loss in S4 we have been nowhere near a top 4 side. The following 4 seasons of dire football encompasses all 3 managers.)

Put the blame where it belongs. We've been sold a dud. The situation on the pitch and how we are playing now sits solely with the current managers AND the players.

No excuses......they all own what is being produced.

23 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

doesn’t seem to matter right now Club don’t look like doing anything 

Not surprised. Nothing will happen and even odds on Babbel will be here until the seasons end...unless we get a 5 or 6 zip derby trashing.

I have no confidence in the club sorting out over the winter also.

Bleak times.

11 hours ago, hughsey said:

A professional athlete needs to have a strong degree of intrinsic motivation and commitment to succeed. Who says Babbel hasn’t been dealing with this from his end anyway? There’s been several changes to our starting line up this season that aren’t injury or international duty related.

Even then, it doesn’t explain the fact that players like Yeboah have completely lost their first touch or ability to dribble a football at any considerable pace. That’s not Babbel’s role to be teaching and practicing fundamental ball skills to professional footballers. 

Us having this debate alone is further excusing the players’ responsibility in this current situation imo. Correct me if I’m wrong but I interpret your comments as basically, ah well players may be lazy but still it should be Babbel who is ultimately responsible. I don’t agree with that. 

Hughsey, in ANY organisation, the leader /manager /team leader /boss is responsible for the performance of those they lead. Anyone working in a poor work environment loses motivation, even moreso with athletes that are on short term contracts. While, yes, the players are responsible for their performances, they are just mercenaries. If the commander has allowed a demotivating atmosphere, the players will not perform to their best, it's not new. 

6 hours ago, EmMac said:

Isn't ian crook doing this position, i don't think the structure in place is the problem it's our main team beings **** with two inexperienced managers and i would consider getting merrick at the club as caretaker for rest of the season while searching again. 

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

No confidence that when Babbel goes (probably at seasons end) that they the owners / decision makers have the ability to take the club forward with purpose.

I think this is the key:

It’s easy for the club to “part ways” at the end of the season as he has an option for a third year but technically his contract ends in April. In saying that, if he can’t turn things around in the next month & things start falling apart behind the scenes then that decision needs to be brought forward. What is falling apart? Players first half performance against Wellington is pretty close,

Perhaps an ideal time maybe at the end of the W-league season, then bring Heff in as interim? As Santa says, it can be even more of a disaster if we bring in the wrong interim manager

47 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

doesn't look like we are doing anything about this mess. can only guess that....

a) lederer doesn't want to pay out MB contract

and/or

b) we have no idea who to replace him with and fear a player revolt if JP is in charge for the rest of the year

We are in a holding pattern until seasons end i suspect. Which includes a and b above.

Club hoping something miraculous changes.

Edited by Smoggy
27 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

We are in a holding pattern until seasons end i suspect. Which includes a and b above.

Club hoping something miraculous changes.

**** that is depressing. if we get 14 more games like that first half against wello we may as well just let macarthur set up a membership sign up tent out the front of parra stadium.

16 hours ago, Smoggy said:

“They’re trying but things aren’t gelling and don’t look like gelling,” added Santalab, who wound up his 20-year professional career once more under Popovic at Perth Glory last season

Thats what it looks like, we look like a team that has been put together at the very last minute

Potential candidates to replace Babbel and my pros/cons on them:

Ernie Merrick
Pro: He wouldn't accept a caretaker's role but he would accept the job if its long term. He would have the resources to recruit players he wants I think we would see some stability and some style in our plays.
Cons: I don't think he will give youth players a chance and I am just not sure if he would consider coming to us.

Dean Heffernan 
Pros: He's done an amazing job with our W-League team, suffered his first loss against the Roar on Sunday but what he has instilled to our girls is amazing, bringing in high quality imports and able to integrate them into his system which looks very simple, if he were to coach our team, he would bring Michael Beauchamp across and would still prefer to have Labi there, all 3 players know what our culture is and know what it means to play for our team
Cons: the step up from W-League to A-League is massively different, Alen Stajcic, brilliant coach for women football but not doing too well with the Mariners and that's where the risk is for Heffernan. I don't know how he will be like under pressure but I think the job will be too big for him to fill 

Paul Okon
Pros: He plays a possession type football, like Popa and likes to keep the ball moving. He has a good eye for talent, he's very knowledgeable and will be very keen to play youth players
Cons: He was a dismal failure at CCM, won't last a season with us when things get hot, he's an NPL coach at best 

Kenny Lowe
Pros: He's a character and a good man-manager, like Ernie, he would have the luxury to recruit players he wants, signed some brilliant players at Perth. He would likely play some of our youth players.
Cons: He has struggled to get the best out of his players and his team have been inconsistent when he was manager at Perth, Popa has managed to fill those gaps for Perth and now Perth are one of the best teams in the A-League.

John Aloisi
Pros: After his stint with Heart, he took a break, learned to be a better coach, coaching Brisbane they became one of the best attacking teams in the league, he has somehow got the best out of Taggart and Maclaren. He is very likely to utilise our youth players.
Cons: He's short tempered, easily falls out with his coaching staff and club management. He doesn't deal well with pressure. He doesn't fit in well with our culture.

Harry Kewell
Pros: Coached overseas, did ok for Notts county despite some circumstances, he's a Westie boy, would have a good understanding of the Westie culture, Very likely to play youth players, has a huge hatred/dislike for Robbie Slater
Cons: Has no respect for the A-League, probably will not get the respect of the players, unlikely to last a season as coach.

Any other ones that worthy of a mention?

Edited by SBW
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic