Carl Robinson Discussion

@FCB

some of these points above re that’s on Gambau, that’s on popa 

accountability flows upwards if JT allows coaches to make stupid decisions he my not be responsible but he sure as hell is accountability- if the definition of the CEO to oversee all operations. 

And re your earlier post if Lederer is doing **** and disregarding JT then in shows how dysfunctional the executive management are. 
The insights you have shared have just strengthened my view that both of them can **** right off - sadly Lederer won’t go - I guess he can find a better yes man if that’s what he wants 

reminds me of the lowy O’Neill early days, O’Neill being the face but everyone knew who was pulling the strings 

4 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

@FCB

some of these points above re that’s on Gambau, that’s on popa 

accountability flows upwards if JT allows coaches to make stupid decisions he my not be responsible but he sure as hell is accountability- if the definition of the CEO to oversee all operations. 

And re your earlier post if Lederer is doing **** and disregarding JT then in shows how dysfunctional the executive management are. 
The insights you have shared have just strengthened my view that both of them can **** right off - sadly Lederer won’t go - I guess he can find a better yes man if that’s what he wants 

reminds me of the lowy O’Neill early days, O’Neill being the face but everyone knew who was pulling the strings 

Just as a general comment: the club will always support the coach, won’t overrule him. Whoever is in charge of the team is calling the shots. And that’s how it should be, really. Otherwise, which coach would want to work for the club?

I didn’t say that Lederer is disregarding JT, he just makes the final call in certain matters. 

7 hours ago, Potkorok said:

Yep sad but true - on the positive side, we just need to do some similar things to them to bring back the glory days - some consistency in a balanced, well recruited squad (ie, as said on here many times before, get the imports right, sign a few experienced Aussies and let our younger/academy kids fill in the rest and a local manager who understands the A-League with all its quirks and peculiarities. Add to that the director of football. And drill our bloody defence!!!!!

I do agree and disagree with some of the things you've said here.

Yes, I'll agree that the club have signed some well below average visa spot players and it's hurt the club in the past few seasons. Sadly, the club and Popovic nailed their visa signings in the first season (except Kresinger) and basically haven't followed up since then. The thing is the club were fortunate enough to allow to have 6 visa spots signings in the first season due to being a new established club. However, as I said, 5 out of 6 ended up being fan favourites. So why were they good visa signings? Because Popovic signed three players in their 20's at the time they signed to the club (Poljak was 23, Polenz was 26, La Rocca was 29) and then there was two well experienced players in their 30's (Hersi was 30 and Ono being 33). 

The club should look at doing something like this again which is look at signing three players in their mid to late 20's so that if they are great players, we have the potential to extend their contract to the club. At the moment, the club would go and sign someone in their mid/late 30's and they'll just be at the club for one season due to being at the end of their career or just not fit enough for A-League (see Meier as an example) thus meaning we witness a reshuffling on the squad over and over again. 

As for your comment on "sign a few experienced Aussies" I'm 50/50 on this as it depends how many you're talking about. If the club went and signed two experienced players, then yes, I'll agree with your comment. Personally, if the club had 5 visa spot players and then the rest were great players that have been established from the Academy then I would be over the moon. The club should be aiming to have well established players that came from the academy and then after 2-3 years being at the Wanderers, there's European clubs that are opening their wallets and saying "how much for that player?" 

The club created an Academy to produce the best players from Western Sydney...this is what I want to witness and I really hope that day eventually comes so that we don't have to rely on signing players with a lot of experience overseas and just coming back to sign with an A-League for the sake of it and most likely wrapping up their career.

Youth vs experience will be the forever raging debate across the aleague.

When a team has too many older players and aren’t doing well, there are calls for more youth. 

When a team has too much youth and aren’t doing well, they there are calls for more “experience”.

Just on this forum I’ve heard the debate from both sides multiple times, over the years I’ve been on here lol

3 hours ago, hughsey said:

Youth vs experience will be the forever raging debate across the aleague.

When a team has too many older players and aren’t doing well, there are calls for more youth. 

When a team has too much youth and aren’t doing well, they there are calls for more “experience”.

Just on this forum I’ve heard the debate from both sides multiple times, over the years I’ve been on here lol

Yep, youth vs experience is a pointless debate. The real question is if we are playing well. When we do the results take care of themselves. When we don't play well the results are accordingly. Thats what we seeing right now. 

Isn't the manager's job in charge of

- the style of play.

- sign players and work out with existing players we have to suit the play style.

- bringing out the best out of the players/bring them to good form

- winning games

In my opinion. This current manager done none of that. Empty promises. His a fraud.

If he has a style of play, it's ****.

He end up signing all his mates to the club. Our kids do a better job then our senior players.

On paper we should be killing it. He does not bring our players to form.

We are losing game after game. Team struggles to complete with the bottom 3 teams. That says a lot.

The problem with Robinson is he has now signed four players that I would define as "sympathy signings"

Ibini originally at Newcastle and didn't want to be there.

Troisi originally at Adelaide and apparently he didnt want to be there.

Gordon originally at Central Coast, asked to terminate the contract to join the Wanderers. 

And now McDonald joining the Wanderers.

Out of those four, two if them (Ibini and Troisi) have not performed to what we expected out of them. Gordon has definitely should to be our best signing this signing and now there's a big question mark iver McDonald to see how he'll perform.

17 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

The problem with Robinson is he has now signed four players that I would define as "sympathy signings"

Ibini originally at Newcastle and didn't want to be there.

Troisi originally at Adelaide and apparently he didnt want to be there.

Gordon originally at Central Coast, asked to terminate the contract to join the Wanderers. 

And now McDonald joining the Wanderers.

Out of those four, two if them (Ibini and Troisi) have not performed to what we expected out of them. Gordon has definitely should to be our best signing this signing and now there's a big question mark iver McDonald to see how he'll perform.

Mcdonald's age is now just catching up to him. At Brisbane you have Wenzel halls, Danzaki and Champness with Kubo on the bench. His injury earlier in the season might have just got him out of the squad with the coach saying he was a surplus. At the fraudsters it was more Rudan and Mcdonald having differences of opinion.

I prefer him in our team than against us. Somehow Mcdonald was always able to get into spaces between our lines and destroy us. Also says a lot about CR's confidence in his current attacking options.

5 hours ago, billybob said:

I see McDonald a lot like Cox. Not as fast as they used to be but very good at reading the game and, as you say, getting in between the lines and creating space for others to run into. I do think McDonald has a little more goal poacher in him than Cox though.

McDonald has been a better player than Cox and has had what I would consider a better career. Not too much between them these days perhaps.

Cox has a decent attitude though and in my opinion has put in some decent shifts. At their stage of career attitude counts, Cox has had a better attitude in the HAL from what I have seen of both.

McDonald can be a bit of a chunt.

20 minutes ago, matty said:

One critical thing that many are missing is CULTURE.

It's no coincidence that the feel of our club hasn't changed for half a dozen seasons now. It has reeked of mediocrity. Several managers and countless players hasn't changed that.

To those defending JT. No, the CEO doesn't choose tactics or mark players at corners, he is more important than that, he sets the tone and feel of the entire organisation. He sets the culture.

Culture is the reason that players can go to one club and look a world-beater, or another and look terrible (Redmayne, Janjetovic, Buomjohann) or a manager can struggle at one club but achieve elsewhere. The tone, feel and attitudes of leadership at that club/organisation makes all the difference. We've all probably noticed this in our own working lives - a manager we don't like effects performance and changes the atmosphere of a place. The actions of corporate or higher ups sets a feel for the whole organisation. 

It's no coincidence that our aleague side has had similar seasons for the last 5 or so. Our women's side has been as poor or worse. The same CEO has been in charge the whole time. We could go through every available manager and every player, have them fail then clear out and start again, or we could start from the top. 

Sure, the owners might have as much say in setting culture as the CEO but as we all know, they're not going anywhere. I would argue the CEO has more influence on the culture anyway.

Look at ESFC, they've got this right and it's filtering through the whole club, men's and women's squads. They replaced their CEO around 7 years ago (from memory) and had a very quick change of fortunes, its no coincidence. 

For the record, I like JT, he seems like a top bloke, but I like my club more and we need to try something different. 

Nailed it. 

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

What's this about then?

Rumour has it sometime between the losses against Roar and Victory, that Cox, Dorrans and another player (supposedly Mutch) were kicked out of the Fiddler after getting smashed.

Here for a holiday?

Look at what @mattysays about culture. Is this really what we want as the culture of our football club?

If the rumour is true, send them back home, I had respect for these guys, this goes against all of that.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

Each to their own but a few lads going out and am having one too many is hardly a reason to send them home. 
In cox’s case he’s decided to stay here whilst his newborn is over in UK - I don’t underestimate that kind of commitment. 

If I was Mutch I’d be asking wtf did you bring me out here for to sit on bench 

id be hitting the cans too 😎

14 hours ago, matty said:

One critical thing that many are missing is CULTURE.

It's no coincidence that the feel of our club hasn't changed for half a dozen seasons now. It has reeked of mediocrity. Several managers and countless players hasn't changed that.

To those defending JT. No, the CEO doesn't choose tactics or mark players at corners, he is more important than that, he sets the tone and feel of the entire organisation. He sets the culture.

Culture is the reason that players can go to one club and look a world-beater, or another and look terrible (Redmayne, Janjetovic, Buomjohann) or a manager can struggle at one club but achieve elsewhere. The tone, feel and attitudes of leadership at that club/organisation makes all the difference. We've all probably noticed this in our own working lives - a manager we don't like effects performance and changes the atmosphere of a place. The actions of corporate or higher ups sets a feel for the whole organisation. 

It's no coincidence that our aleague side has had similar seasons for the last 5 or so. Our women's side has been as poor or worse. The same CEO has been in charge the whole time. We could go through every available manager and every player, have them fail then clear out and start again, or we could start from the top. 

Sure, the owners might have as much say in setting culture as the CEO but as we all know, they're not going anywhere. I would argue the CEO has more influence on the culture anyway.

Look at ESFC, they've got this right and it's filtering through the whole club, men's and women's squads. They replaced their CEO around 7 years ago (from memory) and had a very quick change of fortunes, its no coincidence. 

For the record, I like JT, he seems like a top bloke, but I like my club more and we need to try something different. 

Danny Townsend is a weapon from what I’ve heard and a major force within the APL. He gets **** done and is a major winner.

28 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Danny Townsend is a weapon from what I’ve heard and a major force within the APL. He gets **** done and is a major winner.

Why don't we poach him then?

43 minutes ago, hughsey said:

It’s funny it must be a scouse thing but I use the word weapon the total other way round. 

20 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Rumour has it sometime between the losses against Roar and Victory, that Cox, Dorrans and another player (supposedly Mutch) were kicked out of the Fiddler after getting smashed.

Here for a holiday?

Look at what @mattysays about culture. Is this really what we want as the culture of our football club?

If the rumour is true, send them back home, I had respect for these guys, this goes against all of that.

This is a total lie probably spread by someone with an agenda.

3 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

So is Mutch's 'punishment' a place in the starting line-up?

I feel more confident now ... Ziegler is starting....and Troisi !!!

Edited by tardotz
  • mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic