Squad Development 2021/22

22 minutes ago, mintoff said:

Big loss to the WSW

If you're talking his form when he first came I'd agree but tbh his form fell away a lot after his bad head injury. I doubt he started many games and came on from the bench. I think our visa players have to be in the starting XI. Good pickup by CCM though.

6 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

Definitely a loss for WSW. However, it'll be interesting to see how Montgomery uses him at the Mariners. They played 4-2-2 last season so I assume he'll play Muller as a winger for them? 

I’d agree he’s a loss, but only if you have a competent coach who knows how to use him. Muller was an inverted winger, one good enough to get a crack at the German NT. Carl “it’s-the-players-fault” Robinson had him playing at 10, sometimes even at 8.

If Montie gets him out wide to attack Urenas left shoulder, he should be aces

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

I’d agree he’s a loss, but only if you have a competent coach who knows how to use him. Muller was an inverted winger, one good enough to get a crack at the German NT. Carl “it’s-the-players-fault” Robinson had him playing at 10, sometimes even at 8.

Even Babbel used him as a 10 as a replacement for Majewski.

I think he will be a loss, especially due to the current climate where it is hard to bring in foreign players who aren't already in the country or have citizenship.

2 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I maintain that Mueller is one of the most talented players ever to arrive in the league, and unfortunately we rarely saw the best of him. When he was taken out by the Nix player towards the end of S8 it killed our finals ambitions there and then. The injury could have been career ending.

But he came back, and was our best creative player at the start of last season. Then he picked up an injury, and never looked the same again. Somewhere in all of this CR made a comment about Mueller having a "complex mind and a complex body". As he didn't elaborate on it we can only assume what me meant. 

It is interesting that he decided to hang around in Australia. Quite a catch for CCM, on paper at least, and probably has a point to proof. Hope he does well, he is an exciting player to watch.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

It is interesting that he decided to hang around in Australia. Quite a catch for CCM, on paper at least, and probably has a point to proof. Hope he does well, he is an exciting player to watch.

I think his wife loves it here. 

Happy wife happy life....

The criticism of JT is misdirected. A CEO of a sporting club is there for commercial and stakeholder engagement along with finance and business management. They’re also a mouthpiece/yes man for the chairman. 

People keep criticising JT like he’s the one out on the training paddock each session running the boys around and setting the tactics prior to games. If that was the case then why have a manager?... 

Someone on this thread over the past week was even having shots at him for his office etiquette and work ethic. What a load of BS! Unless someone on here regularly shares office space with the man, I really don’t know how a comment like that can be made genuinely. 

I don’t love but I also don’t hate JT, however I think he’s unfairly become a scapegoat for disgruntled supporters who are looking for an individual to take their frustration out on. 

1 minute ago, hughsey said:

The criticism of JT is misdirected. A CEO of a sporting club is there for commercial and stakeholder engagement along with finance and business management. They’re also a mouthpiece/yes man for the chairman. 

People keep criticising JT like he’s the one out on the training paddock each session running the boys around and setting the tactics prior to games. If that was the case then why have a manager?... 

Someone on this thread over the past week was even having shots at him for his office etiquette and work ethic. What a load of BS! Unless someone on here regularly shares office space with the man, I really don’t know how a comment like that can be made genuinely. 

I don’t love but I also don’t hate JT, however I think he’s unfairly become a scapegoat for disgruntled supporters who are looking for an individual to take their frustration out on. 

I have been strong on my views of Tatsamis and stand by them,  my information which is very solid is correct he is a very poor manager of a business also as a business the buck stops with the  boss when year on year your business does not produce any results on your core product. As an owner you would have seriously looked for at why there has been so many poor business decisions and if you are not held accountable for those poor recruitment and by recruitment i don’t mean players and coaches.

As a business owner my decisions on results would be first year yep learning , second year poor results hmm ok , third year poor results gone. 

5 years ya kidding me 

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Muller deteriorated rapidly....doesn't matter what position he was played he just didn't have the physical presence to make an impact.

Very much this, he's an ex-German international Bundesliga player. He was often given a free role by CR, and beyond the odd pretty run, he did stuff all.

Lots of driblling in to cul-de-sacs and losing the ball. Long as we sign someone else, not a big loss

That said if he gets back to anything like he is capable of he'll kill it up there, and I suspect he will bum us sensless next year (and not in a good way)

Edited by StringerBellend
34 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Hey mate, probably agree with a lot of things in here.

I myself have been pretty harsh on JT and can probably agree he has become a bit of a scapegoat within the clubs fanbase.

I think one key thing many people are disgruntled about is that there is no accountability from the people at the top.

Many of their decisions have been wrong, particularly over the last 5 or so years.

Obviously there has to be blame on the coach and particularly the players as they are key indicators of success (which has been lacking).

2 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Hey mate, probably agree with a lot of things in here.

I myself have been pretty harsh on JT and can probably agree he has become a bit of a scapegoat within the clubs fanbase.

I think one key thing many people are disgruntled about is that there is no accountability from the people at the top.

Many of their decisions have been wrong, particularly over the last 5 or so years.

Obviously there has to be blame on the coach and particularly the players as they are key indicators of success (which has been lacking).

Very much this.

Club has made loads of mistakes and I'm sure JT has.

But every time we don't sign a player, it's JT out on here..

2 hours ago, FCB said:

I maintain that Mueller is one of the most talented players ever to arrive in the league, and unfortunately we rarely saw the best of him. When he was taken out by the Nix player towards the end of S8 it killed our finals ambitions there and then. The injury could have been career ending.

But he came back, and was our best creative player at the start of last season. Then he picked up an injury, and never looked the same again. Somewhere in all of this CR made a comment about Mueller having a "complex mind and a complex body". As he didn't elaborate on it we can only assume what me meant. 

I understand that the incident with Louis Fenton (?) in the Nix game did a lot of damage to Muller - he has to wear glasses and I doubt he will ever fully recover from being knocked out cold with a serious head injury.  He did really well to ocme back but never quite seemed that same player.

Perhaps a new place and a new opportunity may help him find his form.  I can understand WSW not resigning him - he really struggled and it wasn't just out of position.  Some of the simple things you'd expect from his level and quality player didn't happen well.

31 minutes ago, Keithie said:

I have been strong on my views of Tatsamis and stand by them,  my information which is very solid is correct he is a very poor manager of a business also as a business the buck stops with the  boss when year on year your business does not produce any results on your core product. As an owner you would have seriously looked for at why there has been so many poor business decisions and if you are not held accountable for those poor recruitment and by recruitment i don’t mean players and coaches.

As a business owner my decisions on results would be first year yep learning , second year poor results hmm ok , third year poor results gone. 

5 years ya kidding me 

I don't disagree the club has stuffed up big time in the last 5 seasons.

I don't claim to be close enough to JT or Ledder to know how much this is on JT.

But some of the JT Out stuff on here every time we don't sign a player is ridiculous, as is the view that JT hasn't backed CR. The club clearly has last year was 12 players signed, not an gross exaggeration it was 12. Even if we take out the 2 that weren't first teamers (so I'm not claiming the cleaner) it's still 10 (so hardly a gross exaggeration).

So far and we are months out from season start (if we even get a start) we have signed 5 players, with more to come. 

We are other than City the only club with our training facilities, as players have said our facilities are on par with major leagues around the world. So the club have delivered on that too.

I'm just as frustrated as the next guy by our omni-shambles of the last 5 years, but for mine last season in particular that has to be on the playing ground and coach. I'm not sure what more the club could have given CR.

My 'sauces' tell me JT works his arse of for the club

If the not backing the manager claim has validity it goes back to the first season at SoP when we let our visa players go and a bunch of other key players and replaced them with the axis of shite in Jumpy, Borda, and Pinatares, but was that Popa's decision or was it forced on him due to lack of $, I don't claim to know.

The managerial appointments have been disaster zones for the last 5 years, is that JT? If it is then criticism there is fair enough. But again each of those managers didn't come cheap

On the topic on the role of the CEO and board in recruiting players, if you haven't, I suggest watching the Netflix doc "Sunderland Till I Die".  It really does a good job of showing the difficulty for a board to sign quality players. Starting off with a wish list of players and then one by one missing out on each to last minute deals and better offers from other clubs, and then seeing signed players not performing or getting seriously injured. Watching it, I couldn't help but compare it with WSW as they are both two clubs with strong support struggling to get back to former glories. 

Well I am in Australia I follow an Australian soccer team in Western Sydney and I am absolutely not interested in an English teams management either at Sunderland , Middlesborough or any other friggin team.

In Australia we have very competent business managers I am not talking about who selects the players I am talking about the performance of the CEO and whatever way you look at Wanderers have failed miserably over the last 5 years and we have replaced the coach 4  to 5 times who selects the team he wants if the budget allows. 

So look above the player and  coaching level for the things that stink in this club who selects the coaches is the CEO unlucky 5 times ? 

4 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Well I am in Australia I follow an Australian soccer team in Western Sydney and I am absolutely not interested in an English teams management either at Sunderland , Middlesborough or any other friggin team.

So who did you follow before the Wanderers came along?

6 minutes ago, Keithie said:

In Australia we have very competent business managers I am not talking about who selects the players I am talking about the performance of the CEO and whatever way you look at Wanderers have failed miserably over the last 5 years and we have replaced the coach 4  to 5 times who selects the team he wants if the budget allows. 

So look above the player and  coaching level for the things that stink in this club who selects the coaches is the CEO unlucky 5 times ? 

Even when I don't post in this thread so much I get in trouble :unknw::D

Edited by Smoggy
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic