Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

36 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Best player - Duke, best performance - Duke, Best goal celebration - Duke, Best save - Duke, Best everything else - ............. Duke

One man team, that backheel tonight for ABJ on a plate, he should have buried it  .... sigh

And he only played half the season. That's a sad state of affairs in respect to the rest of the team.

Players Confirmed or Very Likely Leaving
Abraham Majok (U21)
Alexander Baumjohann (Foreign)
Giancarlo Gallifuoco (Injury Replacement for O'Doherty)
Oriol Riera (Foreign, Marquee)
Raul Llorente (Foreign)
Josh Risdon
Roly Bonevacia (Foreign)
Mark Bridge

Expiring This Season. Retention status yet to be confirmed.
Brendan Hamill
Marc Tokich (U21)
Rashid Mahazi (NPL Rookie)
Jaushua Sotirio
John Roberts (U21)

Players contracted for 2019/20 onward asked to leave.
Danijel Nizic
Vedran Janjetovic
Nick Fitzgerald

Expiring Year 2019/20
Bruce Kamau
Mitch Duke
Nicholas Suman (U21)
Tarek Elrich
Tate Russel (U21)
Tass Mourdoukoutas (U21)

Expiring Year 2020/21
Fabian Monge (U21)
Jordan O'Doherty - Hurt (Out until early 2020)
Kosta Grozos
Kwame Yeboah
Patrick Ziegler (Foreign)

Expiring Year 2021/22
Keanu Baccus

There's not usually a specific list of all players, but if you use a combination of transfermarkt and look up news articles (goal.com and the Terrorgraph usually compile a list in January) you can get an idea.

https://www.goal.com/en-au/lists/the-top-15-off-contract-a-league-players/mwhmk3tmj94q1o8ilgwjsaoam#12mrjdtsyir451p41klx8f6pf2

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/a-league/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/AUS1

Keep in mind that news articles are written at the time and transfermarkt isn't 100% accurate or constantly updated.

MB in post-match conference:

"The players with 2 frustrating seasons now won't get a 3rd"

"We will 100% have a stronger side next season if we get the players I have in my mind"

"Getting the good foreigners won't be the problem, it's the Australian players"

"We have to identify the strong Australian players and bring them to us"

5 hours ago, wswnick said:

MB in post-match conference:

"The players with 2 frustrating seasons now won't get a 3rd"

"We will 100% have a stronger side next season if we get the players I have in my mind"

"Getting the good foreigners won't be the problem, it's the Australian players"

"We have to identify the strong Australian players and bring them to us"

No doubt club is looking overseas, trying to find "strong Australians" who are not happy where they currently are AND want to come home. The McGowan brothers come to mind.

http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Abroad/2019-02.html

12 hours ago, Unlimited said:

Like I get it’s a financial decision but when you’re plucked out of bloody Serie C to play for the top Australian division, why not solidify yourself here first?

I think Bulut is the worst case scenario for this situation. Goes chasing the money & 4 years later ends up playing AA20’s in Granville. Okay worse case but purely just to demonstrate my point.

In fact who was the last player on the fringes who goes overseas & actually makes it? Very few players these days, more in the past.

I guess these guys are thinking the dollar signs may not come again (like Bulut) so might as well go for it & take the opportunity.

GG has been okay but I find it hard to believe that he will go to one of the bigger leagues in Asia. Maybe it’s a case of going to a smaller league & getting your foot in the door but why not do that at home?

7 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I think Bulut is the worst case scenario for this situation. Goes chasing the money & 4 years later ends up playing AA20’s in Granville. Okay worse case but purely just to demonstrate my point.

In fact who was the last player on the fringes who goes overseas & actually makes it? Very few players these days, more in the past.

I guess these guys are thinking the dollar signs may not come again (like Bulut) so might as well go for it & take the opportunity.

GG has been okay but I find it hard to believe that he will go to one of the bigger leagues in Asia. Maybe it’s a case of going to a smaller league & getting your foot in the door but why not do that at home?

I can’t see what he’s done since he’s been with us, to justify a spot in a decent Asian league

MB on Baumjohann:

“Ya, he played also the last game. I feel a little bit sad for him because he’s a good player, but the good thing for me now is I understand the game now in Australia,” Babbel said.

“I have experience now and I know what I need to have a good side, to have success, so I bring these players in and it’s up to us to show it on the pitch.”

On 24/04/2019 at 5:09 PM, wswnick said:

Don't worry guys, we'll have Georgievski

I'm not sure where the lack of love for Georgevski comes from - A League journeyman, perhaps, but also he is only 30 born and bred Blacktown boy, has tried to get here since 2015, played big parts in Victory success in 2014 through to 2017, think he might of even got the MOM Marston medal thing in the GF loss, being the first fullback ever to win it, then goes to Jets where he played a big part in getting them to a GF for there first time in a long while as well.  But he pushes forward, suits our style and the big difference is he can hit a cross. Yea he is a butcher and an enforcer but that is exactly what we need and every successful team needs one.  I can't wait to see him in our colours.   

MB's use of English has improved to the point where his inner thoughts are being conveyed via his comments to the media.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/alexander-baumjohann-and-oriol-riera-wont-return-to-the-western-sydney-wanderers/news-story/1f000195461b13869f9700253f18c4d5?fbclid=IwAR18B1IwyKTKAYu3N7sLM57WbV5WQli-CER_7jD5BkA6aMd4Y1MNAEeeTFE

Babbel says changes are needed at the club after another disappointing season and he is on the lookout for specific players to bring in.

“Hardworking players, this is what the people want to see. This is what we need to have success — really hardworking players, but also skilful players,” he said.

:clapping:

42 minutes ago, scarcev said:

I'm not sure where the lack of love for Georgevski comes from - A League journeyman, perhaps, but also he is only 30 born and bred Blacktown boy, has tried to get here since 2015, played big parts in Victory success in 2014 through to 2017, think he might of even got the MOM Marston medal thing in the GF loss, being the first fullback ever to win it, then goes to Jets where he played a big part in getting them to a GF for there first time in a long while as well.  But he pushes forward, suits our style and the big difference is he can hit a cross. Yea he is a butcher and an enforcer but that is exactly what we need and every successful team needs one.  I can't wait to see him in our colours.   

I’d loved to sign him in 2014 or 2105 it’s now 2019 he’s going to get better now