Carl Robinson Discussion

Can we leave Rudan out of this conversation. Unless Lederer goes completely insane he's not going to get the job. There's more chance of a Robinson contract extension right now than Rudan taking over.

As a completely unrelated aside, putting the word "allegedly" on a post that involves naming a person and events that could be construed to show said person in a negative light, doesn't negate the potential for causing issues due to such posts. Because that just points out that the post contains an allegation, even if it's come from another source.

24 minutes ago, mack said:

Can we leave Rudan out of this conversation. Unless Lederer goes completely insane he's not going to get the job. There's more chance of a Robinson contract extension right now than Rudan taking over.

As a completely unrelated aside, putting the word "allegedly" on a post that involves naming a person and events that could be construed to show said person in a negative light, doesn't negate the potential for causing issues due to such posts. Because that just points out that the post contains an allegation, even if it's come from another source.

Is that why Rudan is out of the conversation? 

2 minutes ago, Stokz said:

Is that why Rudan is out of the conversation? 

I would say so. Lets just leave out of the convo way too much baggage there.

Also about Hutchinson I agree with Stokz. I also don't know why his name is popping up on this forum. The guy has barely been an assistant coach. Papas was coaching NPL and ISL teams before he was assistant to Ange and eventually coach of the Jets, if that is the angle everyone is going. 

48 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I would say so. Lets just leave out of the convo way too much baggage there.

Also about Hutchinson I agree with Stokz. I also don't know why his name is popping up on this forum. The guy has barely been an assistant coach. Papas was coaching NPL and ISL teams before he was assistant to Ange and eventually coach of the Jets, if that is the angle everyone is going. 

Maybe I'm reading it in a bit too much but I think he was a care taker manager at Yokohama F. Marinos after Ange left and coached 5 games, he won 4 of those games which were J-League games and lost to Hokkaido Sapporo in the YBC Cup.

Musky rates him very highly and so do other Yokohama fans.

Hutchinson may not be my first option but I think Mark Crittenden deserves a crack in the A-League after what he has done for Blacktown

Edited by SBW
3 hours ago, mack said:

Sure it does if the allegation is referenced to an established fact. That's the whole basis of western journalism. You may not like the discussion, and that's fine. But to suggest there's legal ramifications for discussing established facts just isn't true. 

If you're saying you don't want the attention, I can understand that 

With all due respect, throwing out random names of half decent former players and NPL coaches is total nonsense. If WSW want to take themselves seriously, and be one of the big clubs in the league, they need a big coach. 

Let’s take a look at the SUCCESSFUL coaches in recent history of the league, and where they are now: 

2021 - Kisnorbo. The jury is out on this bloke I reckon. Has been gifted with all the possible loop holes being part of City group. Has the cattle and was able to take them all the way to his credit, but I wouldn’t say we need to go all out to get him. 

2020, 2019 - Corica. While he has been relatively successful, I think a lot of that has been riding along the coattails of Arnie (more on him later). I think the longer time goes on, the more he’ll be exposed as a bit of a fraud. Even this season they have shown signs of regression. Pass. 

2018, 2015 - Muscat. Now this is the bloke I think we should be looking at. Sustained success in the A-League, good enough to get him a gig (albeit short term) in Belgium, and recently took his side in Japan to second. I think he is one of the best Australian coaches going around that is within the realm of realism. Probably won’t be available any time soon though, as he’s doing well in Japan and will want to follow in the footsteps of Ange (more on him later) and head to Europe. 

2017, 2013 - Arnold. Won’t spend much time on this. We don’t like him, and he doesn’t like us. No chance. 

2016 - Amor. I will admit I don’t know what has happened to him. He appeared to do significantly well transforming Adelaide into a force both in the league and the FFA cup. A quick Wikipedia search seems to indicate he went back to Spain to work with Barcelona back in 2017. Could be worth a look but I’m not sure.

2012, 2011 - Postecoglou. As much as a pipe dream as anyone in the world at the moment. Doing well with Celtic and probably has his eyes set on England at some point. Can’t really blame him, he’s a trailblazer and I hope he succeeds over there. 

Edited by Beer

Muscat just signed a contract extension after finishing 2nd with Yokohama. There's no way he's coming back.

Amor, his first season was the one they won the Premiership and Grand Final (against us). Season 2 he didn't seem that interested and the club collapsed, only won 4 games and finished 2nd last and he went back to Spain. I don't think he was ever intended to be the full time manager since he joined Adelaide to be a technical director/link between the youth & first team. He only took over because Gombau was forced out by the ownership and didn't make too many adjustments to the Gombau setup to win the titles. It's the only time he's actually done the job of a manager. Zero chance he comes back and I doubt anyone in the A-League is wanting him back.

I don't think Lederer will pay what Kisnorbo would demand and I don't think CFG would let Kisnorbo leave and I don't think Kisnorbo would want to leave. As much as being in the CFG helps, he still managed to completely renew City after the dour Joyceball era and win a trophy in his first season there.

So in the end, unless somehow Arsene Wenger wants to have a crack at the A-League our options are pull out the chequebook for Arnold to make him forget tifogate, maybe poach Tony Pignata off Perth to fix the rest of the football department, or look for proven local success and go after Wilkshire or Crittenden.

3 hours ago, mack said:

Muscat just signed a contract extension after finishing 2nd with Yokohama. There's no way he's coming back.

Amor, his first season was the one they won the Premiership and Grand Final (against us). Season 2 he didn't seem that interested and the club collapsed, only won 4 games and finished 2nd last and he went back to Spain. I don't think he was ever intended to be the full time manager since he joined Adelaide to be a technical director/link between the youth & first team. He only took over because Gombau was forced out by the ownership and didn't make too many adjustments to the Gombau setup to win the titles. It's the only time he's actually done the job of a manager. Zero chance he comes back and I doubt anyone in the A-League is wanting him back.

I don't think Lederer will pay what Kisnorbo would demand and I don't think CFG would let Kisnorbo leave and I don't think Kisnorbo would want to leave. As much as being in the CFG helps, he still managed to completely renew City after the dour Joyceball era and win a trophy in his first season there.

So in the end, unless somehow Arsene Wenger wants to have a crack at the A-League our options are pull out the chequebook for Arnold to make him forget tifogate, maybe poach Tony Pignata off Perth to fix the rest of the football department, or look for proven local success and go after Wilkshire or Crittenden.

Amor built on Gumby's work he didn't change a lot but one thing he did change was he dropped the pass out from the back at all costs and the Kamikaze high line, that Gumby tried with us. Not that it matters as he isn't an option, and I doubt he'd be any good anyway.

Crittenden is a proven NPL manager, but does that tranfer to the A League? Who knows Rudan is an example that has gone from NPL to A League, is he a success?

There isn't a lot out there, to be fair to JT and co. you can see why Carlo looked good to them. Coached at ok level overseas, has some sucess in A League (ok it was breif) and talks a good game.

Maybe Carlo, will come through, lets see tomorrow (assuming I get my 'vid test result back).

7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Crittenden is a proven NPL manager, but does that tranfer to the A League? Who knows Rudan is an example that has gone from NPL to A League, is he a success?

Papas coached in the NPL previously, I don't see why it should be an impediment, think it comes down to a bit of snobbery from the fans sometimes.

3 hours ago, papersun said:

Papas coached in the NPL previously, I don't see why it should be an impediment, think it comes down to a bit of snobbery from the fans sometimes.

I should say I'm in Crittenden in camp and have been since we sacked DJ Bavaria 

On Papas, I actually hope we don't (and I dont think we will) poach him from Newcastle. We have raped and pillaged them over the past 2 season.. and for what? They have bugger all coin but a decent support base, I'd actually like to see them over achieve and Papas stick with them. 

Crittenden is absolutely worth a shot in my opinion. We have tried over and over with foreign "high profile" coaches (by aleague years anyway).... it hasn't worked. There was a good article on The Roar yesterday about how the club has looked for a strong local influence in their player signing but has gone the opposite way with coaches. Our most successful coach was a Westy in Popa, why not give Crittenden a go? It's no coincidence that we have lost our culture and connection with what is the West since Popa left. Every decent coach needs a start somewhere and buying so called ready made imports hasn't worked, why not give a local who is proven at NPL level a go?