Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

8 minutes ago, mack said:

Getting arrested for cocaine possession?

By what the Wanderers website says, Georgevski must have played LWB. Sounds like he played quite well. I wonder if we put him at RWB and Meredith at LWB if that would work. One more foreign marquee centre-back when Ziegler gets citizenship and our hopefully foreign marquee striker and we should be set.

Attackers: - Fernando Llorente - Gary Hooper - Emenike - Rossi - Di Santo

Defenders: - Meredith - Daniel Schwaab - Roman Neustädter - Tasci - Skrtel

Very ambitious and exiting but so frustrating at the same time.

Can someone shed some light?

2 hours ago, FCB said:

There is no way that the club will pay a transfer sum of 1 million Euro. Doesn't sound like his club will let him go, so this transfer seems to be on the death bed.

On reflection, it brings back haunting memories from S5, when we talked Cole and Jones and a bunch of south Americans, signed Bulut instead, and ended up playing santa up front. 

So do the management want to win or do they want to keep penny pinching and don't want to spend money on players? 

12 minutes ago, SBW said:

So do the management want to win or do they want to keep penny pinching and don't want to spend money on players? 

That is a very good question that probably will be asked until we win a title.

In the meantime: JT said at the members forum that both coaching group and players were told that the board's expectation of them is "to win" (without explaining what that means). At the gold plated dinner last week he said that coach and team want to make "a statement". 

I have to remind myself that it's August 1st, not October 1st. Chances are that we are competing for the same players with smurfs, vic, reds. Going by what city and reds have signed so far, it seems very difficult attracting quality imports to Australia. So far we've signed four good ones. 

31 minutes ago, DCWSW said:

Nichols was released prior to him getting done for coke. Wasn't a WSW player, technically

he was until the end of that month IIRC. similar to being given your notice by your employer, if you **** up during that last week or two they're still your employer even though you've been terminated.

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

A friend of mine went to a physiotherapist who said she (maybe he) had worked at WSW and that the medical staff there where very inexperienced and treatment for player injuries was incorrect and it was a factor in players taking so long fo recover, in particular for a German guy (I assume Ziegler although could have been abj) 

How accurate this I don’t know, but hopefully club are working on this 

It seems we get what we pay for....skimping on Medical staff is not good if that's what's happening. Word gets around amongst players, and could make it difficult to attract good players. If we want to get to and remain in the top 2 or 3 then penny-pinching will not achieve this.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Calling Lederer a tight arse because the club haven’t signed players that were simply suggested as options on an Internet forum. We’re reaching new heights 😂

I think we wait until the season starts before making "tight arse" comments. If, at round 1 we haven't signed anyone,  I'll be the first. Until then, he (and the other owners) deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Come on Paul, prove us all wrong.

3 minutes ago, Jefski said:

I think we wait until the season starts before making "tight arse" comments. If, at round 1 we haven't signed anyone,  I'll be the first. Until then, he (and the other owners) deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Come on Paul, prove us all wrong.

The owners pumped 20 million bucks of their own money into the new training facility. Tight looks different.

We have to sign at least four additional players (or promote scholarship players to senior contracts) as we currently don't have the minimum size HAL squad on contract. 

2 minutes ago, FCB said:

The owners pumped 20 million bucks of their own money into the new training facility. Tight looks different.

We have to sign at least four additional players (or promote scholarship players to senior contracts) as we currently don't have the minimum size HAL squad on contract. 

Don't get me wrong, i'm defending him (not that he needs my help). We're all too quick to insinuate he's a spend thrift (me included) but he didn't get where he got by throwing his money away and without his support of the club, we wouldn't have what we have in the background.

As far as the squad goes, it's not about spending millions of dollars, it's about getting the right players at the right value. All i'm asking is simply that we don't go into the season under manned and under strength, we want to be competitive and still be in it come the final series. We have a new squad and new stadium, time to begin a new era.

Just now, wswtragic said:

If the Boss thinks he's the right guy for his system, I'm in 100%.

I agree,

You need to remember, we have Yeboah and Duke as forwards also who cant put the goals in also, not to mention Majewski also. If Turkish man can slot around 15, i'm happy with that. As a marquee, maybe not, but as a foreigner, yes.

5 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Duke is a ball chaser, Yeboah a winger.

We don't currently have a striker. Even Mo Adam that started at #9 y'day, is a wide attacking player 

I most certainly am not saying Turkish man should be our only signed striker and we are good to go.. but Turkish man has people around him in other positions who can also bury a ball

2 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Duke is a ball chaser, Yeboah a winger.

We don't currently have a striker. Even Mo Adam that started at #9 y'day, is a wide attacking player 

I look at Mehmet Akyüz a bit differently now. He helped his Turkish club get promoted to the top Turkish league (1st in the league). Quite a few Turkish League top division teams play in the 2nd division and haven't gotten promoted again. He just might be a lot better than we think. Look at Berisha or Fornaroli and how they turned out.

30 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Lederer owns less than a 1/3 of the club, not sure why he cops so much abuse, unless we have peeps on this forum who are antisemites

Because people don't understand the meaning of "board of directors", "co owners", and "chairman". The same people do understand the meaning of the word "suits" though, and have strong views on how to spend someone else's money - big time.

31 minutes ago, Taurus said:

In other news, our extra time discussions with Keogh have not been successful & he will head to the Saudi club 

Apparently it is very difficult finding a) an HAL-grade striker who b) is willing to come to Australia and c) doesn't break the bank.

34 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Turkish media are saying that Akyuz has "said goodbye to teammates".

If the Boss thinks he's the right guy for his system, I'm in 100%.

We need a guy who is pro enough to work for 90 minutes and has the capacity to score in big games. I believe that a good quality BL2 striker (something Berisha never was) would stand out in the HAL. If a player who (like Bobo) has been alternating between 1st and 2nd tier Turkish football can do the same only time will tell.

But I have to say that an Akyuz is not what I expected.

I don't think people are being anti-semetic when criticising Lederer. More about the quality of players in recent years. Perhaps fans were wanting a big $'s player like Honda. A bit of quality to get excited about.

Riera was a good buy.....but if you go through the visa players from at least the past 3 seasons there was not much to get enthused about. Nico was okay in a poor side, Roly had good days and bad days.....the rest so so.

52 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

i think Lederer is the most high profile owner

He is by far the most high profile. The other owners don't do media, their names aren't on the yearly "last year sucked but this year we're going to invest" letters or the end of season "even though we've done worse every year for 3 years, did you know we have a youth academy?" releases.

5 minutes ago, mack said:

He is by far the most high profile. The other owners don't do media, their names aren't on the yearly "last year sucked but this year we're going to invest" letters or the end of season "even though we've done worse every year for 3 years, did you know we have a youth academy?" releases.

honestly i dont even know the other's names :P but yes he does a lot of media and that opens him up to criticism,  i didnt even notice their names are not on the letter tbh

16 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

even though i criticised him for perceiving him to be lazy(i could have been wrong) i would love to have him back but it is Bossi so not sure how reliable it is

16 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Underwhelmed ....Since making his debut for Australia, Juric has made 41 international appearances and has scored eight goals.

We can and should be looking for better.

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic