Football Media Discussion 2

10 hours ago, MajorMelons said:

What are they saying?

Some minor sports journo from abc in wa (I think) made some snide comment on twitter along the lines of is the a league still a thing?

sokkahtwitter replied with the usual measured response 

i think, I don’t do twitter much 

Edited by StringerBellend

I actually agree with peacock doesn’t matter what was said no reason for the coaches to go and approach a player on the field If it was a player on field then it’s different 

we can entertain any reason why coaches are running on and man handling players 

even if he is the biggest cockhead in the league 

all due respect to brosque and Simon 

On 30/04/2018 at 9:22 PM, btron3000 said:

I've decided I can't stand Peacock. I used to think he got it, but his continual defence of VAR on twitter, and now his comments about the Victory coaches "they came on the field and got involved with a player, 4 weeks is about half of what they deserve. If I did that on the weekend, I'd be out for the rest of the season" have just reinforced to me that is nothing more than a little, simple company man.

It took Andy Harper to say that context matters, and that he didn't see the coaches go directly for Carney, that they were celebrating and then on the way back it escalated, and we don't know what David Carney's role in this was.

I find it so strange that they have been banned and no-one has bothered to see what Carney's role was. Like if someone is accused of something but that is the end of it, no investigation, judiciary, nothing. Just decide a punishment.

Agree about Carney. Takes two to tango.

Peacock is right though, there’s blokes being given up to a season ban for equal or lesser actions in my association. Doesn’t matter what level you’re at it’s all the same. 

Forget Peacock, Garbie is the company man. That bloke wouldn’t fart in company he’s that afraid of treading on anyone’s toes.

so its like NRL league pass? you need to be a telstra customer to access the content?

does it have to be on your phone or can you create a username/id and then chromecast off other devices?

2 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

So does this mean the FFA won't see a cent from the deal:

"Telstra sub-licensed the digital rights from Foxsports and will broadcast every A-League match, in addition to "key" FFA Cup matches, select W-League games, as well as Matildas and Socceroos clashes as part of the deal."

Just now, Jukes75 said:

So does this mean the FFA won't see a cent from the deal:

"Telstra sub-licensed the digital rights from Foxsports and will broadcast every A-League match, in addition to "key" FFA Cup matches, select W-League games, as well as Matildas and Socceroos clashes as part of the deal."

Well that's good then - a broader reach for the league and the FFA don't profit off it at all 

Might also mean more Telstra Thanks tickets

P**** me off. Just went to Optus because Telstra can’t organise a booze-up in a brewery

So if you want EPL and World Cup, you need Optus. If you want A-League, you need Telstra. 

FFA should have offered the digital streaming without a single partner.

If Optus hadn’t just announced they were opening up their package to non-Optus customers then yes, this would suck, but we aren’t in that world anymore. Now you can get the Optus and Telstra offerings no matter your provider. I think that’s pretty good, even if it means those not on Optus or Telstra will have to pay for both!

4 hours ago, Generator said:

If Optus hadn’t just announced they were opening up their package to non-Optus customers then yes, this would suck, but we aren’t in that world anymore. Now you can get the Optus and Telstra offerings no matter your provider. I think that’s pretty good, even if it means those not on Optus or Telstra will have to pay for both!

Yes good think with Optus one is it supports big screens (smart tv, chromecast, Apple TV etc) 

The Telstra A League thing is mobile only (<7inch screen) and unlikely to change given they are trying to drive Foxtel and Foxtel Now (streaming subscriptions)

For me I just cancelled my Foxtel now Streaming as I only use it for a league, probably renew it when FFA cup starts 

3 hours ago, tranquilo said:

deending on your optus deal you may be eligible for a fetch tv box so u can just watch it on the big screen, and combine your netflix/world cup fix all in one.

I use Apple TV, the new ones are really good, Optus, Netflix, Stan apps are good as is the support abc and iview 

Annoyingly Foxtel Now don’t have an app for it just Airplay streaming. BeIn has an app though 

Bossi Alert

Nothing would surprise me TBH.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/petrol-station-deal-fuels-conspiracy-theory-over-cahill-selection-20180515-p4zfbx.html

Petrol station deal fuels conspiracy theory over Cahill selection

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has denied commercial incentives influenced the selection of Tim Cahill in the Socceroos' 26-man World Cup squad on Tuesday.

The 38-year-old remains in the frame to play in a fourth consecutive World Cup despite playing only 63 minutes of club football in five months and being without a competitive club goal in more than a year.

His inclusion was somewhat controversial given it coincided with the omission of in-form Scotland-based striker Jamie Maclaren and was followed by a large-scale advertising campaign involving Cahill and Socceroos sponsor Caltex.

The petrol brand immediately unveiled a promotional campaign dubbed "Cahilltex" following confirmation of Cahill's selection in the 26-man squad that will travel to Turkey for the Socceroos' pre-tournament training camp.

Speaking to media on Tuesday morning, Gallop says Cahill's proven history with the national team was the only reason the veteran was included in the trimmed squad.

"I say 'have a look at Timmy's track record'," Gallop said. "I don't think anyone can mock the fact that he is in the 26."

Cahill has struggled for game time this season, making 10 cameo appearances off the bench for Millwall in the English Championship.

The final 23-man squad will be finalised on June 4, though Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk has spoken of his admiration for Cahill, who he deems "a special case" when it comes to his inclusion.

"[Cahill] is also a player who can make a difference," van Marwijk said last week. "He will not be nervous if we play in front of 80,000 people."

I had to laugh at the ABC Radio sports report this morning. They were discussing the omission of Maclaren etc and the sports chick reckoned that all of our squad were in 'good form' and would top the group if they can beat France (who apparantly have been off form of late).

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/boy-georges-manager-paul-kemsley-former-vice-chairman-of-tottenham-hotspur-interested-in-investing-in-football-in-australia/news-story/e91f68ba297bc2936057c4f520d979db

BOY George’s manager says he’s in the market to expand his football interests in Australia.

Paul Kemsley, former vice chairman of major English premier league club Tottenham Hotspur, this week met with owners of the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Kemsley, reported to be worth $50 million and husband of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star Dorit, previously owned the New York Cosmos team and sees a bright future in Australia.

“Soccer is a passion of mine and Boy George is in Australia, my wife’s TV show is a big hit here so why wouldn’t I get involved in soccer in Australia? It is a great idea,” Kemsley told The Daily Telegraph, in town with Boy George who is a coach on Nine’s The Voice.

“I am an entrepreneur so I am always interested in making moves. I am interested in Australian soccer and whether or not it can happen here. On paper, it is the greatest game in the world, it is a fabulous country here, there is no reason it shouldn’t happen here really.”

Kemsley, who managed the world’s most famous player, Brazilian star Pele, pointed to the likes of Tim Cahill as leaders in the sport here in Australia.

“I am involved in a conversation at the moment that may or may not lead to something,” he said.

“In Australia you have to be clever, you have to operate almost like it is an amateur team because the money isn’t there so you are not going to attract the big stars. You’ve got to build from the ground upwards so you’ve got to know a bit about youth policy, a bit about teaching the kids the right way from a very early age and about growing and finding that lightning in a bottle, those kids.

Paul Kemsley is interested in investing in football in Australia and has held talks with the owners of the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Kemsley served nine years as vice Chairman of the Tottenham Hotspurs. The team this year finished third in the Premier League, earning a champions league berth for next season.

He understands the challenges football has in Australia up against the likes of Aussie rules, rugby and rugby league but wouldn’t shy away from the challenge.

“Australia has got the world clock against them,” he said. “It is very difficult to watch live soccer in Europe when you live in Australia and that goes against you guys so that is a tough one to get around. It is an interesting proposition and I think you have got a great country that I think could potentially do it.”

Of his work in the United States, where football is still a fledgling sport in comparison to the likes of NFL and NBA, he added: “In America one of the reasons that soccer hasn’t quite hit it off is that kids grow up wanting to be basketball or NFL or hockey stars. Soccer is only just becoming more interesting so I think it is to do with inspiring the kids and the kids wanting to become soccer stars.”

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

BOY George’s manager says he’s in the market to expand his football interests in Australia.

I hear he's going to make his new team colour's Red, Gold & Green.

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

Paul Kemsley, former vice chairman of major English premier league club Tottenham Hotspur, this week met with owners of the Western Sydney Wanderers. Paul Kemsley is interested in investing in football in Australia and has held talks with the owners of the Western Sydney Wanderers. “I am involved in a conversation at the moment that may or may not lead to something,” he said.

Hmm. Are they trying to get another part-owner?

36 minutes ago, mack said:

I hear he's going to make his new team colour's Red, Gold & Green.

Hmm. Are they trying to get another part-owner?

Yes but

Do they really want to hurt me? 

Do they really want to make me cry? 

Apparently the mix up came as the rumour came from a French man tweeting, he meant to type “Le Boy George seen in Blacktown” but the Apple auto correct mistakenly changed it 

7 hours ago, alexd said:

I think those are quotes (so his words); elsewhere in the article it refers to football.

Nah on their sports webpage (where they do that thing where they group stories on one sport after they have the main highlights at the top regardless of sport) it’s listed as soccer. 

10 minutes ago, Davo said:

“On paper, it’s the greatest game in the world”

Anyone else think it’s weird that a potential football club owner has to qualify that with “on paper”?

Yes, very ******* weird. Teams are good “on paper”. Sports are good or not.

• mack locked this topic