Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

On 11/04/2019 at 1:01 PM, Prydzopolis said:

In the last window alone: lokolingoy, Tongyik, Mitch Austin, Antony golec, Papadopolus, Malik. That’s just off the top of my head, sure there is more

Mutual termination doesn't mean their wasn't a financial agreement though.

2 hours ago, Bellby said:

If that’s what you want to believe, no problems. Mutual termination implies they both agree to terminate the contract as opposed to x terminates the contract with y (think Folau) especially in the context of the A-League.

So this is the above tweet translated. Not surprisingly it doesn't sound like he will be coming to Aus.

From Franck Ribery at FC Bayern. It is not yet clear where it will take the offensive player to. But the Frenchman doesn't want to stop. Most recently, requests from Qatar and Australia have been reported, and there is now a first trend. Ribery is moving to Qatar According to”Kicker " information, Franck Ribery is moving to Qatar in the summer. Two clubs from the emirate are to advertise Ribery, including the Al-Sadd Sport Club with the Spaniard Xavi. Markus Babbel, currently a coach at the Western Sydney Wanderers in Australia, also confirmed a request for the French. "We continue to be interested in Franck Ribery. But first the exact conditions have to be evaluated in Detail.” So a decision has not yet been made. FC Bayern München are still interested in retaining Ribery after his career in the club. A small foreign adventure, however, Ribery will definitely still do.

3 hours ago, Bellby said:

If WSW says see ya to a contracted player, who doesn't want to go, and WSW pays out in terms of the contract for breaking that contract that payment counts in the cap.

If WSW instead arranges a mutual termination with that player. That is, the player agrees to leave (regardless of any pressures) a laTongyik. Then any agreed payment by the club to the player does not count in the cap. That's why there are so many mutual terminations in the a league.

Wanderers coach Markus Babbel plans to rebuild underperforming squad

With his first season in Australian football all over bar the shouting, Wanderers boss Markus Babbel is preparing for a significant turnover of players as he bids to fashion a winning team for next year.

Babbel revealed that the futures of more players than the dozen or so off contract are under review, in the wake of missing the finals for the second season in a row.

Western Sydney have two more games to navigate, more or less assured of finishing eighth, before the squad disperses for its holidays.

Babbel said he intend to hold talks with players over their futures in coming days, before returning to Germany for a vacation himself.

Though the clear out will allow Babbel to reshape the squad in his own image, he admitted that the limitations imposed by the salary cap and foreign limits were a unique challenge.

“Of course we have to start now, but it takes a time to get together with players,” he said. “We have ideas (about recruitment), now we have to find out if they are possible.

“It is not so easy with five foreigners, two marquee players, only 23 players. It's a great challenge for us to find the right players.

“We have to, because no one is happy in the club. This is the second season without the play-offs, and next season we want to.”

Quite how extensive his squad surgery will be even Babbel himself is not yet certain, as he waits to see which players elect to leave even when they are under contract.

“It is difficult for me now to say something,” Babbel noted. “Not because I don't want to but maybe some players have a contract but I am not so happy with them.

“I must ask, is he leaving or not? That could make a gap to give the money to someone else. This is a very interesting story for us, we are working and I am pretty sure we will have a good team next season to fight for the playoffs.” 

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

Quite how extensive his squad surgery will be even Babbel himself is not yet certain, as he waits to see which players elect to leave even when they are under contract.

I can't help but think of GoT and the "Red Wedding"... 

1 hour ago, mack said:

Back to Germany? Can't we send his family to Nelson Bay for a week and a half so he can keep doing his job of fixing our broken team?

MB left four teenage kids behind in Bavaria, they will want to see their father. When he announced in May last year that he was off to Australia, they were not happy at all. 

Part of me hopes he'll be chatting to some players while in Germany

These conversations would have been happening for a while. All I hope is that MB gets a chance to speak to the Ribery man face to face. 

Vedran also apparently told he can pursue other opportunities

Good! 

14 minutes ago, mack said:

Oh I thought his family came here.

He has a daughter (23) and a son (21) from his first marriage, two girls (15 and 12) from a second marriage, and another daughter (3) with his third wife. And as I am writing this I realized that his oldest children are young adults, not teenagers.

He's had quite a life. What is not well know is that, when MB was 17, his older brother took his own life. Guillain-Barre syndrome may not have cost him his own life, but certainly cost him his career as world class defender, and probably his first marriage. Another bit of trivia: since the early 1990ies he's been the only coach who lasted longer than three years at Luzern. That's quite an achievement. In the 15 months since he left in January 2018 they've had three coaches...

2 hours ago, wswnick said:

And which of our players is he taking home with him to his daughters as promised by him in midseason? 😂

Haha yes I was wondering about that too.  Anyone here with daughters have views on who in the squad they would/wouldn't be happy to see them marry?

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Haha yes I was wondering about that too.  Anyone here with daughters have views on who in the squad they would/wouldn't be happy to see them marry?

None of them have met the minimum requirement of having knocked Brosque the **** out. That would get them an introduction, possibly a supervised coffee date, depending how long he was out for. 

It's a moot point really. My daughters are 13 & 16, which is nowhere near the minimum dating age of 70.

23 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

If WSW says see ya to a contracted player, who doesn't want to go, and WSW pays out in terms of the contract for breaking that contract that payment counts in the cap.

If WSW instead arranges a mutual termination with that player. That is, the player agrees to leave (regardless of any pressures) a laTongyik. Then any agreed payment by the club to the player does not count in the cap. That's why there are so many mutual terminations in the a league.

I understand the concept of mutual termination but my point is very rarely does it happen without a payout despite the/any club calling it a 'mutual termination'. It can still be a mutual termination if both parties agree a pay out/compensation figure. 

My issue was more with the comment that you can simply just tell a player they're no longer wanted & everyone will shake hands & agree on a termination without any compensation. 

Using Fitzgerald as an example as the original post did, he has 2 + years remaining & you'd assume given he had other options & had come off a couple of good seasons with City he'd be on a semi-decent wicket (comparable to other players of his ability). He's since played a total of about 20 minutes for us & his value would of dropped accordingly. I'm sure like any professional he would be eager to play but is the eagerness enough to take a pay cut of $100k +? Vedran will be in the exact same boat. 

Anyway not even sure why i'm still arguing over the wording of a post from 10 pages ago. I've got to move on with my life haha

Giancarlo  Gallifouco was very impressive in the time he had in the second half calm on the ball and showed some good ball skills and tough , hopefully we get to see him instead Mahazi for the last 2 games and see if he can repeat the effort each week. I think he is potentially our DM alongside Baccus who I believe will mature into a great DM.

17 hours ago, mack said:

Back to Germany? Can't we send his family to Nelson Bay for a week and a half so he can keep doing his job of fixing our broken team?

Having gone there every summer for the entirety of my life, I can't think of a more Western Sydney holiday - just don't forget to add in the wreckless jet ski riding around the bay with dodgy Western Sydney builders and their top of the range Toyota Hilux's. Now you're talking!

8 hours ago, Keithie said:

Giancarlo  Gallifouco was very impressive in the time he had in the second half calm on the ball and showed some good ball skills and tough , hopefully we get to see him instead Mahazi for the last 2 games and see if he can repeat the effort each week. I think he is potentially our DM alongside Baccus who I believe will mature into a great DM.

Thought his distribution and reading of the play was way better than mahazi and Bacchus's as well...

9 hours ago, LetsPele said:

Thought his distribution and reading of the play was way better than mahazi and Bacchus's as well...

At this point we know Mahazi could be a squadie and can probably serve a 1 year extension, he does OK coming off the bench to keep a lead. I want to see Gallifuoco get three solid games so we can see where he's truly at. If he can reproduce that second half for 3 games, give him a deal over Mahazi.

Gallifuoco has that same monstrous mindset La Rocca used to have. He makes some seriously clattering tackles in open play, some he's been very unjustly penalised for. That keeps light footed opposition midfielders watching for him and waiting for contact. It plays with their heads. He's doubtlessly a better distributor than Mahazi too

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

If we're already talking about re-signing the likes of Mahazi we may as well concede defeat for the entirety of next season already.

Mahazi may not be a player who wins you a title, but we need "good enough" squaddies who are too old to be picked by Arnie for the U23 tournament in January.

Last time we had all our imports right was in S1 and 2. In S4 we were competitive, but the Pio debacle cost us the title. Nail these spots next season for a change, have the Aussie passport for Ziegler sorted, and there won't be much reason to have conversations about Elrich, Hamill, Mahazi, or JoD.