A letter from the Chairman

"Mark my words, we have a bold plan for this football club and I look forward to having Josep lead our team this season and beyond." - Paul Lederer, 1 Nov 2017                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

"Mark my words, my fellow board members and I have ensured that our future is set on a solid foundation of infrastructure and planning." - Paul Lederer,  3 Jan 2019

Sounds familiar.

8 hours ago, mack said:

The past two seasons have been below the standard we have set for this club and we all share every loss, every misstep, like a stab to the heart.

that sums it up nicely...

40 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

"Mark my words, we have a bold plan for this football club and I look forward to having Josep lead our team this season and beyond." - Paul Lederer, 1 Nov 2017

"Mark my words, my fellow board members and I have ensured that our future is set on a solid foundation of infrastructure and planning."

Paul Lederer,  3 Jan 2019

Sounds familiar.

Okay, I'll give him 4.5 out of 10... And get him to recite the following 100 times: "words are cheap. It's results that matter"...

44 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

"Mark my words, my fellow board members and I have ensured that our future is set on a solid foundation of infrastructure and planning."

Paul Lederer,  3 Jan 2019

Sounds familiar.

word slut 2018/19. The lesser known adult film award.

13 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Having a new shiny everything is great, but if you don't have the right people running it then one should not be fooled into thinking it's going to deliver the promise land. Do we have the right people. NFI. But the overall PL statement reads we have planted the seeds, as with many things in life only history from looking book in the future will tell us the success. 

ask any Arsenal fan who was told how a new stadium and an academy that the world will envy worked out for them. 10 years on never close to a title and just a feeder club for the big boys. 

Listen to this: https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/atb-extra-the-western-sydney-wanderers-youth-academy/

Nick Nova talks to all the youth academy coaches and their visions and setup. Its really insightful. The fact that our NYL team won the NYL last season and are at the top this season shows some dividends are paying off.

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

Listen to this: https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/atb-extra-the-western-sydney-wanderers-youth-academy/

Nick Nova talks to all the youth academy coaches and their visions and setup. Its really insightful. The fact that our NYL team won the NYL last season and are at the top this season shows some dividends are paying off.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but the question is how do you transition youth players into the A-League? there's a massive step up from there. Some of our youth league players have played a few seasons of A-League football and haven't been able to step up.

I would like to thank Mr Chairman for the new HQ and academy, it's a great investment in the future and something our club needs.

However, If the first team is still failing, will the youth players stay??

3 seasons of rubbish from the first team is starting to wear very thin.

I just hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train coming.

Edited by colhil
1 hour ago, SBW said:

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but the question is how do you transition youth players into the A-League? there's a massive step up from there. Some of our youth league players have played a few seasons of A-League football and haven't been able to step up.

The whole youth development system needs to change to prepare young players for the A-League.  The age group teams need to play more competitive games in a season and instead of the 26 teams playing each other once they should be split into a couple of divisions based on ability and have two rounds of games before finals.  The same needs to happen with the NPL 1, 2, 3 & 4 senior and U 20 teams.  A 12 team competition for NPL 1 is totally inadequate.  There then needs to be a professional 2nd division.  The A-League clubs should be able to loan out their youth players to both NPL clubs and 2nd division clubs to accelerate their development so that when they are signed to the A-League squads that are far more developed than they currently are.  This isn't a quick fix and I don't think there is any shortcuts but to be working on improving all levels of the development pathway at the same time.

19 minutes ago, Flytox said:

The A-League clubs should be able to loan out their youth players to both NPL clubs and 2nd division clubs to accelerate their development so that when they are signed to the A-League squads that are far more developed than they currently are. 

This need to happen. First I think they need to align A-league and NPL seasons to make it easier for this to happen

If the new stadium is the light at the end of the tunnel then surely ALL HOME GAMES must be played there!

dont take any to Homebush! If the club sneak in a home game or two at ANZ then that will be the biggest disappoint of the lot!

can the club please communicate to the fans and say what their position is on this? I’m sure ANZ is dangling a big carrot to WSW to play a few games there! Stuff that! How about instead the chairman grow a pair and commit to all games at parra. That will be truely getting the fans back on board and building a culture once again that is currently in ruins.

On 03/01/2019 at 1:18 PM, BoyFromTheWest said:

I like this letter.  Although many give Lederer and Board much crap, he has put a lot of money into all of this - without any expectation of a return as there won't be!.

Too me, he seems to love football and wants to put something back into it - an academy that is first class, fighting for a new stadium (Eels have our staff to thank for it!!), a search for a new and different type of coach that wasn't easy nor cheap and the emphasis on putting something back into football in Western Sydney youth - male and female!!  All this is more than I would have hoped for in becoming a member a few years ago.  Whilst many draw a very, very long bow between new owners and down turn in results, I think that there have been some very significant developments and few other clubs have anything like this.  Good letter and good communication.  He hurts like the rest of us!

I don’t believe it isn’t being run or make a profit if there are ‘silent members’ of the owners consortium. Either to make a profit or wash money. 

9 minutes ago, Jowel said:

If the new stadium is the light at the end of the tunnel then surely ALL HOME GAMES must be played there!

dont take any to Homebush! If the club sneak in a home game or two at ANZ then that will be the biggest disappoint of the lot!

can the club please communicate to the fans and say what their position is on this? I’m sure ANZ is dangling a big carrot to WSW to play a few games there! Stuff that! How about instead the chairman grow a pair and commit to all games at parra. That will be truely getting the fans back on board and building a culture once again that is currently in ruins.

100% agree. A home game is just that, home. I don't give a fig that there won't be any seats for the smurfs supporters. No smurf games were moved from the SFS.

1 hour ago, Jungle said:

I don’t believe it isn’t being run or make a profit if there are ‘silent members’ of the owners consortium. Either to make a profit or wash money. 

Who are the silent owners?  They were named right up front when they bought the club.

That’s a well written statement. If I were Paul Lederer I’d be telling a strong percentage of fans to blow it out their arse and quit talking absolute shite. The amount of uneducated crap that gets parroted, especially on social media is embarrassing. Too many experts and whingers following this club. 

God forbid WSW ever offered fan ownership. Imagine the sense of entitlement... 

51 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

If you don't want an impatient, expectant fanbase then don't go around saying things like 'our aim is top 2 every season' and 'we are going to be as big as collingwood or the broncos.'

To now send out an email deflecting and talking about the academy when fans are unhappy with 3 straight seasons of rubbish is disingenuous imo.

The club made their bed, they set the expectations, now they are having to lie in it.

Agree with this . I have read Lederers  message several times the more I do the more  the word patronize comes to my mind.  Already been mentioned by another forumite ..

Patronize..

treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.

to speak to or behave towards someone as if they are stupid 

We might be Westie scum to use the smurfs favourite tag but we know our football and are not stupid..hold on though perhaps...he's got a point..continue to fork out hundreds of $$ the last 3 seasons to watch absolute sh@te 

When the CEO said nothing it was 'why the silence? what does he take us for', when he does say something it is patronising or not what people want to hear, there is nothing that he could of said that would of appeased everybody, absolutely nothing.  My biggest conundrum is with all of these expert coaches on here and on facebook why is it so difficult to find grassroots coaches at my Club?

5 minutes ago, scarcev said:

When the CEO said nothing it was 'why the silence? what does he take us for', when he does say something it is patronising or not what people want to hear, there is nothing that he could of said that would of appeased everybody, absolutely nothing.  My biggest conundrum is with all of these expert coaches on here and on facebook why is it so difficult to find grassroots coaches at my Club?

I don't think anyone expected him to say something... We expected him to do something. We have now received more lip service. 

Hopefully it means that he is hearing us loud and clear and something will be done next transfer window and to support fan engagement..